Rm 604A, 6/F., Lo Kwee Seong Integrated Biomedical Sci. Bldg, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. Cheng Hon Ki Christopher (鄭漢其) has served as a faculty member at The Chinese University of Hong Kong over 30 years. Throughout his academic career, Prof. Cheng has published over 200 peer-reviewed research papers and review articles in various international journals on areas of endocrinology, reproduction, chemical analyses, natural product research and drug development. He is regularly invited to review manuscripts submitted to various international journals. He is engaged in the editorial activities of international journals. He has also published many articles and book chapters on the assessment and development of TCM as therapeutic agents or functional foods. Together with his collaborators on natural product research in Mainland China, Prof. Cheng was awarded a Second Class State Natural Science Award of China in the year 2009. Prof. Cheng has successfully obtained numerous grants from various organizations to support his research, notably from the RGC, ITF and NSFC. He has also served as grant reviewers in Hong Kong and overseas, and as a visiting professor of a number of universities. Having supervised over 54 graduate students pursuing their Ph.D./M.Phil. degrees in his laboratory, Prof. Cheng regularly serves in thesis committees of graduate students in CUHK as well as in other universities. Prof. Cheng’s commitment to research excellence is not only limited to his own laboratory. As the Managing Director of the Hong Kong Institute of Biotechnology, he is committed to the development of biotechnology and the Chinese medicine industry in Hong Kong. In addition, Prof. Cheng is also the Director of the CUHK Shenzhen Research Institute dedicated towards developing the activities of the university in Mainland China on areas of research, education and entrepreneurship.
- Genomics and gene knockout studies in zebrafish.
- Molecular endocrinology and hormone action.
- Identification and development of drugs from natural and synthetic sources.
- Novel functional molecules.
- Xie, Y., Chu, L., Liu, Y., Sham, K.W.Y., Li, J., Cheng, C.H.K. (2017). The highly overlapping actions of Lh signaling and Fsh signaling on zebrafish spermatogenesis. Journal of Endocrinology, 234(3), 233-246.
- Liu, Y., Zhu, Z., Ho, I.H.T., Shi, Y., Xie, Y., Li, J., Zhang, Y., Chan, M.T.V., Cheng, C.H.K. (2017). Germline-specific dgcr8 knockout in zebrafish using a BACK approach. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, 74(13), 2503-2511.
- Tang, H., Liu, Y., Li, J., Li, G., Chen, Y., Yin, Y., Guo, Y., Cheng, C.H.K., Liu, X., Lin, H. (2017). LH signaling induced ptgs2a expression is required for ovulation in zebrafish. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 447, 125-133.
- Cui, Z., Liu, Y., Wang, W., Wang, Q., Zhang, N., Lin, F., Wang, N., Shao, C., Dong, Z., Li, Y., Yang, Y., Hu, M., Li, H., Gao, F., Wei, Z., Meng, L., Liu, Y., Wei, M., Zhu, Y., Guo, H., Cheng, C.H.K., Schartl, M., Chen, S. (2017). Genome editing reveals dmrt1 as an essential male sex-determining gene in Chinese tongue sole (Cynoglossus semilaevis). Scientific Reports, 7, 42213.
- Liu, Y., Tang, H., Xie, R., Li, S., Liu, X., Lin, H., Zhang, Y., Cheng, C.H.K. (2017). Genetic evidence for multifactorial control of the reproductive axis in zebrafish. Endocrinology, 158(3), 604-611.
- Tang, H., Liu, Y., Li, J., Yin, Y., Li G., Chen, Y., Li, S., Zhang, Y., Lin, H., Liu, X., Cheng, C.H.K. (2016). Gene knockout of nuclear progesterone receptor provides insights into the regulation of ovulation by LH signaling in zebrafish. Scientific Reports, 6, 28545.
- Hao, Y., Chow, A.W., Yip, W.C., Chi, H., Wan, T.F., Tong, B.C., Cheung, K.H., Chan, W.Y., Chen, Y., Cheng, C.H.K., Ko, W.H. (2016). G protein-coupled estrogen receptor inhibits the P2Y receptor-mediated Ca2+ signaling pathway in human airway epithelia. Pflügers Archiv - European Journal of Physiology, 468(8), 1489-503.
- Liu, Y., Zhao, H., Cheng, C.H.K. (2016). Mutagenesis in Xenopus and Zebrafish using TALENs. Methods in Molecular Biology, 1338, 207-27.
- Chu, L., Li, J., Liu, Y., Cheng, C.H.K. (2015). Gonadotropin signaling in zebrafish ovary and testis development: Insights from gene knockout study. Molecular Endocrinology, 29(12), 1743-58.
- Luo, D., Liu, Y., Chen, J., Xia, X., Cao, M., Cheng, B., Wang, X., Gong, W., Qiu, C., Zhang, Y., Cheng, C.H.K., Zhu, Z., Hu, W. (2015). Direct production of XYDMY− sex reversal female medaka (Oryzias latipes) by embryo microinjection of TALENs. Scientific Reports, 5, 14057.
- Li, J., Chu, L., Sun, X., Liu, Y., Cheng, C.H.K. (2015). Igfs mediate the action of luteinizing hormone on oocyte maturation in zebrafish. Molecular Endocrinology, 29(3), 373-83.
- Tang, H., Liu, Y., Luo, D., Ogawa, S., Yin, Y., Li, S., Zhang, Y., Hu, W., Parhar, I.S., Lin, H., Liu, X., Cheng, C.H.K. (2015). The kiss/kissr systems are dispensable for zebrafish reproduction: evidence from gene knockout studies. Endocrinology, 156(2), 589-99.
- Chu, L., Li, J., Liu, Y., Hu, W., Cheng, C.H.K. (2014). Targeted gene disruption in zebrafish reveals noncanonical functions of Lh signaling in reproduction. Molecular Endocrinology, 28(11), 1785-95.
- Xiao, Z., Li, C.H., Chan, S.L., Xu, F., Feng, L., Wang, Y., Jiang, J., Sung, J.J.Y, Cheng, C.H.K., Chen, Y. (2014). A small molecule modulator of the tumor suppressor miRNA-34a inhibits the growth of hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Research, 74(21), 6236-47.
- Li, J., Wu, P., Liu, Y., Wang, D., Cheng, C.H.K. (2014). Temporal and Spatial Expression of the four Igf Ligands and two Igf Type 1 Receptors in Zebrafish during Early Embryonic Development. Gene Expression Patterns, 15(2), 104-111.
- Liu, Y., Luo, D., Lei, Y., Hu, W., Zhao, H., Cheng, C.H.K. (2014). A highly effective TALEN-mediated approach for targeted gene disruption in Xenopus tropicalis and zebrafish. METHODS, 69(1), 58-66.
- Xie, C., Liu, X., Sham, K.W.Y., Lai, J.M.Y., Cheng, C.H.K. (2014). Silencing of elongation factor-2 kinase reveals AMPK-ULK1 dependent autophagy in colon cancer cells. Autophagy, 10(9), 1495-508.
- Liu, Y., Luo, D., Zhao, H., Zhu, Z., Hu, W., Cheng, C.H.K. (2013). Inheritable and precise large genomic deletions of non-coding RNA genes in zebrafish using TALENs. PLoS ONE, 8(10), e76387.
- Xie, C., Liu, X., Yu, S.B.S., Cheng, C.H.K. (2013). Cardiac Glycosides Block Cancer Growth through HIF-1a and NF-kB Mediated Plk1. Carcinogenesis, 34(8), 1870-80.
- Lee, S.F., Zhu, X., Wang, Y., Xuan, S., You, Q, Chan, W.H., Wong, C.H., Wang, F., Yu, J.C., Cheng, C.H.K., Leung, K.C.F. (2013). Ultrasound, pH, and Magnetic Responsive Crown Ether-Coated Core/Shell Nanoparticles as Drug Encapsulation and Release Systems. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 5(5), 1566-1574.
- Leung, K.C.F., Chak, C.P., Lee, S.F., Lai, J.M.Y., Zhu, X., Wang, Y., Sham, K.W.Y., Cheng, C.H.K. (2013). Enhanced Cellular Uptake and Gene Delivery of Glioblastoma with Deferoxamine-coated Magnetic Nanoparticle/Plasmid DNA/Branched Polyethylenimine Composites. Chemical Communications, 49(6), 549-51.
- Lei, Y., Guo, X., Liu, Y., Cao, Y., Deng, Y., Chen, X., Cheng, C.H.K., Dawid, I.B., Chen, Y., Zhao, H. (2012). Efficient Targeted Gene Disruption in Xenopus Embryos Using Engineered Transcription Activator-like Effector Nucleases (TALENs). PNAS, 109(43), 17484-9.
- Zhou, W., Li, S., Liu, Y., Qi, X., Chen, H., Cheng, C.H.K., Liu, X., Zhang, Y., Lin, H. (2012). The evolution of tachykinin/tachykinin receptor (TAC/TACR) in vertebrates and molecular identification of the TAC3/TACR3 system in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 361(1-2), 202-12.
- Li, M., Wu, F., Gu, Y., Wang, T., Wang, H., Yang, S., Sun, Y., Zhou, L., Huang, X., Jiao, B., Cheng, C.H.K., Wang, D. (2012). Insulin-Like Growth Factor 3 Regulates Expression of Genes Encoding Steroidogenic Enzymes and Key Transcription Factors in the Nile Tilapia Gonad. Biology of Reproduction, 86(5), 1-10.
- Xie, C., Chan, W.Y., Yu, S.S.B., Zhao, J., Cheng, C.H.K. (2011). Bufalin Induces Autophagy-mediated Cell Death in Human Colon Cancer Cells through Reactive Oxygen Species Generation and JNK Activation. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 51(7), 1365-75.
- Gao, J., Wang, Y., Xing, Q., Yan, J., Senthil, M., Akmal, Y., Kowolik, C.M., Kang, J., Lu, D.M., Zhao, M., Lin Z., Cheng, C.H.K., Yip, R.M., Yim, J.H. (2011). Identification of a Natural Compound by Cell-based Screening that Enhances Interferon Regulatory Factor-1 Activity and Causes Tumor Suppression. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 10(10), 1174-83.
- Chen, M., Huang, X., Yuen, D.S.H., Cheng, C.H.K. (2011). A study on the functional interaction between the GH/PRL family of polypeptides with their receptors in zebrafish: evidence against GHR1 being the receptor for somatolactin. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 337(1-2), 114-21.
- Xuan, S., Wang, F., Lai, J.M.Y., Sham, K.W.Y., Wang, Y.X.J., Lee, S.F., Yu, J.C., Cheng, C.H.K., Leung, K.C.F. (2011). Synthesis of biocompatible, mesoporous Fe3O4 nano/microspheres with large surface area for magnetic resonance imaging and therapeutic applications. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 3(2), 237-244.
- Li, J., Liu, Z., Wang, D., Cheng, C.H.K. (2011). Insulin-like growth factor 3 is involved in oocyte maturation in zebrafish. Biology of Reproduction, 84(3), 476-86.
- Chak, C.P., Xuan, S., Mendes, P.M., Yu, J.C., Cheng, C.H.K., Leung, K.C.F. (2009). Discrete functional gold nanoparticles: hydrogen bond-assisted synthesis, magnetic purification, supramolecular dimer and trimer formation. ACS Nano, 3(8), 2129-2138.