BSc, MPhil, PhD, Ph.D.
Telephone: 3943 6873
509A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
Professor Fung Kwok Pui (馮國培) obtained his B.Sc. in Chemistry in 1973 and M.Phil. in Biochemistry in 1975 from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. In 1978, he received his Ph.D. in Microbiology from The University of Hong Kong.
He served as Assistant Lecturer (1978-1979), Lecturer (1979-1987), Senior Lecturer (1987-1995), Reader (1995-2002), Professor of Biochemistry (2002-2016) and Research Professor (2016-present) in Department of Biochemistry, Department of Biochemistry (Medicine) and School of Biomedical Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
He specializes in cancer research, specifically in anti-tumour mechanism and purification of active anti-tumour agents from traditional Chinese medicine. He has published 432 papers (with H-index, 54) in peer-reviewed international journals. He has supervised 41 Ph.D. and 36 M.Phil. postgraduate students and successfully bid 87 competitive external grants. He was co-principal-investigator of an Area of Excellence Project on “Chinese Medicine Research and Further Development” granted by the University Grants Committee, HKSAR.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Anti-tumor Drugs.
- Photodynamic Therapy.
- Glucose Transporter.
- Deng, Y., Lam, F.F.Y., Ng, E.S.K., Lau, C.B.S., Koon, J.C.M., Leung, P.C., & Fung, K.P. (2018). A Herbal Formulation of Danshen and Gegen Protects Rat Brains from Injuries Induced by Focal and Global Ischaemia. Journal of Advancements in Plant Science, 1(1), Article 104.
- Chu, C.Y., Fung, K.P., & Wang, C.C. (2018). Effects of Low-dose Melamine Exposure during Pregnancy on Maternal and Fetal Kidneys in Rats. Environmental Toxicology, 33(3),370-380.
- Li, M., Yue, G.G.L., Tsui, S.K.W., Fung, K.P., & Lau, C.B.S. (2018) Turmeric extract, with absorbable curcumin, has potent anti-metastatic effect in vitro and in vivo. Phytomedicine, 46, 131-141.
- Zhou, X., Yue, G.G.L., Tsui, S.K.W., Pu, J., Fung, K.P., & Lau, C.B.S. (2018). Elaborating the role of natural products on the regulation of autophagy and their potentials in breast cancer therapy. Current Cancer Drug Targets, 18 (3), 239-255.
- Li, L., Yue, G.G.L., Lee, J.K.M., Wong, E.C.W., Fung, K.P., Yu, J., Lau, C.B.S., & Chiu, P.W.Y. (2018). Gene expression profiling reveals the plausible mechanisms underlying the anti-tumor and anti-metastasis effects of Andrographis paniculata in esophageal cancer. Phytotherapy Research, 32, 1388-1396. doi.org/10.1002/ptr.6074.
- Li, M., Yue, G.G.L., Song, L.H., Huang, M.B., Lee, J.K.M., Tsui, S.K.W., Fung, K.P., Tan, N.H., & Lau, C.B.S. (2018). Natural Small Molecule Bigelovin Suppresses Orthotopic Colorectal Tumor Growth and Inhibits Colorectal Cancer Metastasis via IL6/ STAT3 Pathway. Biochemical Pharmacology, 150, 191-201.
- Yue, G.G.L., Lee, J.K.M., Chan, B.C.L., Kwok, H.F., Hoi, S.W.H., Sze, D.M.Y., Fung, K.P., Leung, P.C., & Lau, C.B.S. (2018). An innovative anti-cancer Chinese herbal formula exhibited multi-targeted efficacies in metastatic breast cancer mouse model. Chinese Medicine, 13:64. doi.org/10.1186/s13020-018-0222-9.
- Li, L., Zhao, S., Yue, G.G.L., Wong, T.P., Pu, J.X., Sun, H.D., Fung, K.P., Leung, P.C., Han, Q.B., Lau C.B.S., & Leung, P.S. (2018). Isodon eriocalyx and its bioactive component Eriocalyxin B enhance cytotoxic and apoptotic effects of gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer. Phytomedicine, 44, 56-64.
- Zhou X., Cao C.Y., Wan A.T.Y., Yue, G.G.L., Kwok F. H.F., Fung, K.P., Sun H.D., Lau C.B.S., Puno P.T., & Tsui S.K.W. (2018). Functional roles of eriocalyxin B in zebrafish revealed by transcriptome analysis. Molecular Omics, 14 (3), 156-169.
- Cheung, D.W.S., Koon, C.M., Wong, P.H., Yau, K.C., Wat, E., Hung, A.S., Wang, Y.P., Lau, K.M., Ko, C.H., Chan, J.Y.W., Waye, M.M.Y., & Fung, K.P. (2017). Evaluating Efficacy and Safety of Combination Medication of Atorvastatin and a Herbal Formula Containing Salvia miltiorrhiza and Pueraria lobata on Hyperlipidemia. Phytotherapy Research, 31, 1579–1589.
- Zhou, X., Yue, G.G.L., Chan, A.M., Tsui, S.K.W., Fung, K.P., Sun, H., Pu, J., & Lau, C.B.S. (2017). Eriocalyxin B, a novel autophagy inducer, exerts anti-tumor activity through the suppression of Akt/mTOR/p70S6K signaling pathway in breast cancer. Biochemical Pharmacology, 142, 58-70.
- Yu, C.O.L., Leung, K.S., Fung, K.P., Lam, F.F.Y., Ng, E.S.K., Lau, K.M., Chow, S.K.H., & Cheung, W.H. (2017). The characterization of a full-thickness excision open foot wound model in n5-streptozotocin (STZ)-induced type 2 diabetic rats that mimics diabetic foot ulcer in terms of reduced blood circulation, higher C-reactive protein, elevated inflammation, and reduced cell proliferation. Experimental Animals, 66(3), 259–269.
- Liu, X.Z., Campanac, E., Cheung, H.H., Ziats, M.N., Canterel-Thouennon, L., Raygada, M., Baxendale, V., Pang, A.L.Y., Yang, L., Swedo, S., Thurm, A., Lee, T.L., Fung, K.P., Chan, W.Y., Hoffman, D.A., & Rennert, O.M. (2017). Idiopathic Autism: Cellular and Molecular Phenotypes in Pluripotent Stem Cell-derived Neurons. Molecular Neurobiology, 54(6), 4507-4523.
- Xiang, J., Wang, Z., Liu, Q., Li, X., Sun, J., Fung, K.P., & Liu, F. (2017). DMFC (3,5-dimethyl-7H-furo[3,2-g]chromen-7-one) regulates Bim to trigger Bax and Bak activation to suppress drug-resistant human hepatoma. Apoptosis, 22, 381-392.
- Li, M., Song, L.H., Yue, G.G., Lee, J.K., Zhao, L.M., Li, L., Zhou, X., Tsui, S.K., Ng, S.S., Fung, K.P., Tan, N.H., & Lau, C.B.S. (2017). Bigelovin triggered apoptosis in colorectal cancer in vitro and in vivo via upregulating death receptor 5 and reactive oxidative species. Scientific Reports, 7, 42176.
- Chu, C.Y., Tang, L.Y., Li, L., Shum, A.S.W., Fung, K.P., & Wang, C.C. (2017). Adverse Reproductive Effects of Maternal Low-Dose Melamine Exposure During Pregnancy in Rats. Environmental Toxicology, 32(1), 131-138.
- Sun, J.G., Ruan, F., Zeng, X.L., Xiang, J., Li, X., Wu, P., Fung, K.P., & Liu, F.Y. (2016). Clitocine Potentiates TRAIL-medicated Apoptosis in Human Colon Cancer Cells by Promoting Mcl-1 Degradation. Apoptosis, 21, 1144-1157.
- Zhou, X.N., Yue, G.G.L., Liu, M.H., Zuo, Z.L., Lee, J.K.M., Li, M.Y., Tsui, S.K.W., Fung, K.P., Sun, H.D., Pu, J.X., & Lau, C.B.S. (2016). Eriocalyxin B, a Natural Diterpenoid, Inhibited VEGF-induced Angiogenesis and Diminished Angiogenesis-dependent Breast Tumor Growth by Suppressing VEGFR-2 signaling. Oncotarget, 7(50), 82820-82835.
- Yue, G.G.L., Kwok, H.F., Lee, J.K.M., Jiang, L., Wong, E.C.W., Gao, S., Wong, H.L., Li, L., Chan, K.M., Leung, P.C., Fung, K.P., Zuo, Z., & Lau, B.S.C. (2016). Combined Therapy Using Bevacizumab and Turmeric Ethanolic Extract (with Absorbable Curcumin) Exhibited Beneficial Efficacy in Colon Cancer Mice. Pharmacological Research, 111, 43-57.
- Wei, W., Xiao, H.T., Bao, W.R., Ma, D.L., Leung, C.H., Han, X.Q., Ko, C.H., Lau, C.B.S., Wong, C.K., Fung, K.P., Leung, P.C., Bian, Z.X., & Han, Q.B. (2016). TLR-4 may Mediate Signaling Pathways of Astragalus Polysaccharide RAP Induced Cytokine Expression of RAW264.7 Cells. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 179, 243-252.
- Wang, Y.P., Wat, E., Koon, C.M., Wong, C.W., Cheung, D.W.S., Leung, P.C., Zhao, Q.S., Fung, K.P., & Lau, C.B.S. (2016). The Beneficial Potential of Polyphenol-enriched Fraction from Erigerontis Herba on Metbolic Syndrome. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 187, 94-103.
- Ng, C.F., Ko, C.H., Koon, C.M., Chin, W.C., Kwong, H.C.S.T., Lo, A.W.I., Wong, H.L., Fung, K.P., Lau, C.B.S., Lam, P.K., Poon, W.S., & Leung, P.C. (2016). The Aqueous Extract of Rhizome of Gastrodia elata Blume Attenuates Locomotor Defect and Inflammation after Traumatic Brain Injury in Rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 185, 87-95.
- Yue, G.G.L., Lee, J.K.M., Li, L., Chan, K.M., Wong, E.C.W., Chan, J.Y.W., Fung, K.P., Lui, V.W.Y., Chiu, P.W.Y., & Lau, C.B.S. (2015). Andrographis paniculata elicits anti-invasion activities by suppressing TM4SF3 gene expression and by anoikis-sensitization in esophageal cancer cells. American Journal of Cancer Research, 5, 3570-3587.
- Lau, C.B.S., Yue, G.G.L., Fung, K.P., Tan, N.H., & Leung, P.C. (2015). The potential role of chinese herbal medicines in cancer management. Science, 347 (6219 Suppl), S45-S47.
- Chan, B.C.L, Han, X.Q., Lui, S.L., Wong, C.W., Wang, T.B.Y., Cheung, D.W.S., Cheng, S.W., Ip, M., Han, S.Q.B., Yang, X.S., Jolivalt, C., Lau, C.B.S., Leung, P.C., & Fung, K.P. (2015). Combating against methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus - two fatty acids from purslane (Portulaca oleracea L.) exhibit synergistic effects with erythromycin. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 67, 107-116.
- Sun, J.G., Xiang, J., Zeng, X.L., Li, X., Wu, P., & Fung, K.P. (2014). Clitocine induces apoptosis and enhances the lethality of ABT-737 in human colon cancer cells by disrupting the interaction of Mcl-1. Cancer Letters, 355, 253-263.
- Koon, C.M., Fong, S., Wat, E., Wang, Y.P., Cheung, D.W.S., Lau, C.B.S., Leung, P.C., Sun, H.D., Zhao, Q.S., & Fung, K.P. (2014). Mechanisms of the dilator action of the Erigerontis Herba on rat aorta. J. Ethnopharmacology, 155, 1561-1567.
- Cheung, K.K.Y., Chan, J.Y, & Fung, K.P. (2013). Antiproliferative effect of pheophorbide a-medicated photodynamic therapy and its synergistic effect with doxorubicin on multiple drug-resistant uterine sarcoma cell MES-SA/Dx5. Drug and Chemical Toxicology, 36, 474-483.
- Hu, F., Chan, J.Y.W., Koon, C.M., & Fung, K.P. (2013). Angiogenic effects of Danshen and Gegen decoction on human endothelial cells and zebra fish embryos. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, 41, 887-900.
- Cheung, D.W.S., Koon, C.M., Wat, E., Ko, C.H., Chan, J.Y.W., Yew, D.T.W., Leung, P.C., Chan, W.Y., Lau, C.B.S., & Fung, K.P. (2013). A herbal formula containing roots of Salvia miltiorrhiza (Danshen) and Pueraria lobata (Gegen) inhibits inflammatory mediators in LPS-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophages through inhibition of nuclear factor κB (NFκB) pathway. J. Ethnopharmacology, 145(3), 776-783.
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 15-Jul-17 to 14-Jul-20]: "Development of a New Class of Photosensitizers, Cationic Boron Dipyroomethenes, for the Photodynamic Therapy on Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Infection" (HK$1,193,998).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 15-May-14 to 14-May-17]: "Photodynamic Therapy Mediated by Natural Products on Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)-infected Wound" (HK$899,528).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-May-14 to 30-Apr-16]: "Enhancing Antibiotics Efficacy by Combinations of Active Ingredients from Traditional Chinese Medicine against Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus" (HK$999,528).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 15-Mar-14 to 14-Mar-16]: "Regulation of Glucose Balance in Type II Diabetes by Combined Action of Low-magnitude High-frequency Vibration and a Chinese Herb: In Vitro and In Vivo Study" (HK$954,528).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-Mar-14 to 28-Feb-16]: "The Combination Use of Cardiovascular Drugs with Danshen-Gegen Decoction on Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia and Atheroslcerosis" (HK$999,872).