Professor of the Institute for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine
Room 123A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sci. Bldg, Area 39, CUHK
Dr. Tuan directs a multidisciplinary research program that focuses on orthopaedic research as a study of the biological activities underlying the development, growth, function, and health of skeletal tissues, and the utilization of this knowledge to develop cell-based technologies that will regenerate and/or restore function to diseased and damaged skeletal tissues. Ongoing research projects are directed towards skeletal development, stem cells, growth factor signaling, bone-biomaterial interaction, extracellular matrix and cell-matrix interaction, nanotechnology, mechanobiology, regenerative medicine, and tissue engineering, utilizing integrated contemporary technologies of biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, embryology and development, cellular imaging, and engineering.
- Tuan R.S., Chang K.P. (1975). Isolation of intracellular symbiotes by immune lysis of flagellate protozoa and characterization of their DNA. J Cell Biol, 65(2):309-23.
- Tuan R.S., Scott W.A. (1977) Calcium-binding protein of chorioallantoic membrane: Identification and developmental expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 74(5):1946-9.
- Tuan R.S., Scott W.A., Cohn Z.A. (1978). Purification and characterization of a calcium-binding protein from chick chorioallantoic membrane. J Biol Chem, 253(5):1011-6.
- Tuan R.S., Scott W.A., Cohn Z.A. (1978). Calcium-binding protein of the chick chorioallantoic membrane. I. Immunohistochemical localization. J Cell Biol, 77(3):743-51.
- Tuan R.S., Scott W.A., Cohn Z.A. (1978). Calcium-binding protein of the chick chorioallantoic membrane. II. Vitamin K-dependent expression. J Cell Biol, 77(3):752-61.
- Tuan R.S., Zrike J. (1978). Functional involvement of carbonic anhydrase in calcium transport of the chick chorioallantoic membrane. Biochem J, 176:67-74.
- Tuan R.S. (1979). Vitamin K-dependent gamma-glutamyl carboxylase activity in the chick embryonic chorioallantoic membrane. J Biol Chem, 254(4):1356-64.
- Tuan R.S. (1980). Calcium transport and related functions in the chorioallantoic membrane of cultured shell-less chick embryos. Dev Biol, 74(1);196-204.
- Tuan R.S. (1980). Biosynthesis of calcium-binding protein of chick chorioallantoic embryonic membrane: In vitro organ culture and cell-free translation. Cell Calcium, 1(6):411-29.
- Tuan R.S. (1982). Identification and characterization of a calcium-binding protein from human placenta. Placenta, 3(2):145-57.