BSc, MPhil, PhD, Ph.D.
Telephone: 3943 6873
509A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
Professor Fung Kwok Pui (馮國培) obtained his B.Sc. in Chemistry in 1973 and M.Phil. in Biochemistry in 1975 from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. In 1978, he received his Ph.D. in Microbiology from The University of Hong Kong.
He served as Assistant Lecturer (1978-1979), Lecturer (1979-1987), Senior Lecturer (1987-1995), Reader (1995-2002), Professor of Biochemistry (2002-2016) and Research Professor (2016-present) in Department of Biochemistry, Department of Biochemistry (Medicine) and School of Biomedical Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
He specializes in cancer research, specifically in anti-tumour mechanism and purification of active anti-tumour agents from traditional Chinese medicine. He has published 432 papers (with H-index, 54) in peer-reviewed international journals. He has supervised 41 Ph.D. and 36 M.Phil. postgraduate students and successfully bid 87 competitive external grants. He was co-principal-investigator of an Area of Excellence Project on “Chinese Medicine Research and Further Development” granted by the University Grants Committee, HKSAR.
- Photodynamic therapy.
- Anti-cancer herbal medicinal materials.
- Glucose-transporters in cancer cells.
- Wat, E., Ng, C.F., Wong, E.C.W., Koon, C.M., Lau, C.P., Cheung, D.W.S., Fung, K.P., Lau, C.B.S. and Leung, P.C. (2016). The hepatoprotective effect of the combination use of Fructus Schisandrae with statin – A preclinical evaluation. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 178, 104-114.
- Yue, G.G.L., Lee, J.K.M., Li, L., Chan, K.M., Wong, E.C.W., Chan, J.Y.W., Fung, K.P., Lui, V.W.Y., Chiu, P.W.Y. and Lau, C.B.S. (2015). Andrographis paniculata elicits anti-invasion activities by suppressing TM4SF3 gene expression and by anoikis-sensitization in esophageal cancer cells. American Journal of Cancer Research, 5, 3570-3587.
- Leung, H.W., Zhao, S.M., Yue, G.G.L., Lee, J.K.M., Fung, K.P., Leung, P.C., Tan, N.H. and Lau, C.B.S. (2015). RA-XII inhibits tumour growth and metastasis in breast tumour-bearing mice via reducing cell adhesion and invasion and promoting matrix degradation. Scientific Reports, 5, 16985. doi: 10.1038/srep16985.
- Lau, C.B.S., Yue, G.G.L., Fung, K.P., Tan, N.H. and Leung, P.C. (2015). The potential role of chinese herbal medicines in cancer management. Science, 347 (6219 Suppl), S45-S47.
- Chan, B.C.L, Han, X.Q., Lui, S.L., Wong, C.W., Wang, T.B.Y., Cheung, D.W.S., Cheng, S.W., Ip, M., Han, S.Q.B., Yang, X.S., Jolivalt, C., Lau, C.B.S., Leung, P.C. and Fung, K.P. (2015). Combating against methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus - two fatty acids from purslane (Portulaca oleracea L.) exhibit synergistic effects with erythromycin. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 67, 107-116.
- Sun, J.G., Xiang, J., Zeng, X.L., Li, X., Wu, P. and Fung, K.P. (2014). Clitocine induces apoptosis and enhances the lethality of ABT-737 in human colon cancer cells by disrupting the interaction of Mcl-1. Cancer Letters, 355, 253-263.
- Koon, C.M., Fong, S., Wat, E., Wang, Y.P., Cheung, D.W.S., Lau, C.B.S., Leung, P.C., Sun, H.D., Zhao, Q.S. and Fung, K.P. (2014). Mechanisms of the dilator action of the Erigerontis Herba on rat aorta. J. Ethnopharmacology, 155, 1561-1567.
- Cheung, K.K.Y., Chan, J.Y and Fung, K.P. (2013). Antiproliferative effect of pheophorbide a-medicated photodynamic therapy and its synergistic effect with doxorubicin on multiple drug-resistant uterine sarcoma cell MES-SA/Dx5. Drug and Chemical Toxicology, 36, 474-483.
- Hu, F., Chan, J.Y.W., Koon, C.M. and Fung, K.P. (2013). Angiogenic effects of Danshen and Gegen decoction on human endothelial cells and zebra fish embryos. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, 41, 887-900.
- Cheung, D.W.S., Koon, C.M., Wat, E., Ko, C.H., Chan, J.Y.W., Yew, D.T.W., Leung, P.C., Chan, W.Y., Lau, C.B.S. and Fung, K.P. (2013). A herbal formula containing roots of Salvia miltiorrhiza (Danshen) and Pueraria lobata (Gegen) inhibits inflammatory mediators in LPS-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophages through inhibition of nuclear factor κB (NFκB) pathway. J. Ethnopharmacology 145(3), 776-783.
- Hu, F., Koon, C.M., Chan, J.Y.W., Lau, K.M. and Fung, K.P. (2012). The Cardioprotective effect of danshen and gegen decoction on rat hearts and cardiomyocytes with post-ischemia reperfusion injury. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 12,249 1-13.
- Hu, F., Koon, C.M., Chan, J.Y.W., Lau, K.M., Kwan, Y.W. and Fung, K.P. (2012). Involvements of calcium channel and potassium channel in Danshen and Gegen decoction induced vasodilation in porcine ooronary LAD artery. Phytomedicine 19(12), 1051-1058.
- Lau, C.B.S., Cheng, L., Cheng, B.W., Yue, G.G., Wong, E.C., Lau, C.P., Leung, P.C. and Fung, K.P. (2012) Development of a simple chromatographic method for distinguishing between two easily confused species, Hedyotis diffusa and Hedyotis corymbosa. Natural Product Research 26(15):1446-1450.
- Jiang, L., Chan, J.Y.W. and Fung, K.P. (2012). Epigenetic loss of CDH1 correlates with multidrug resistance in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun, 422, 739-744.
- Hoi, S.W.H., Wong, H.M., Chan, J.Y.W., Yue, G.G.L., Tse, G.M.K., Law, B.K.B., Fong, W.P. and Fung, K.P. (2012). Photodynamic therapy of Pheophorbide a inhibits the proliferation of human breast tumor via both Caspase-dependent and -independent apoptotic pathways in in vitro and in vivo models. Phytotherapy Research, 26, 734-742.
- Chan, J.Y.W., Koon, J.C.M., Liu, X.Z., Detmar, M., Yu, B., Kong, S.K. and Fung, K.P. (2011). Polyphyllin D, a steroidal saponin from Paris polyphylla, inhibits endothelial cell functions in vitro and angiogenesis in zebrafish embryos in vivo. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 137, 64-69.
- Li, H., Ko, C.H., Tsang, S.Y., Leung, P.C., Fung, M.C. and Fung, K.P. (2011). The ethanol extract of Fructus trichosanthis promotes fetal hemoglobin production via p38 MAPK activation and ERK inactivation in K562 cells. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2011, 657056.
- Chan, J.Y.W., Lau, C.M., Ting, T.L., Mak, T.C.W., Chan, M.H.M., Lam, C.W.K., Ho, C.S., Wang, C.C., Fok, T.F. and Fung, K.P. (2011). Gestational and lactational transfer of melamine following gavage administration of a single dose to rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology 49, 1544-1548.
- Bui Xuan, N.H., Tang, P.M.K., Wong, C.K., Chan, J.Y.W., Cheung, K.K.Y., Jiang, J.L. and Fung, K.P. (2011). Pheophorbide a: A photosensitizer with immunostimulating activities on mouse macrophage RAW 264.7 cells in the absence of irradiation. Cellular Immunology 269, 60-67.
- Bui-Xuan, N.H., Tang, P.M., Wong, C.K. and Fung, K.P. (2010) Photo-activated pheophorbide-a, an active component of Scutellaria barbata, enhances apoptosis via the suppression of ERK-mediated autophagy in the estrogen receptor-negative human breast adenocarcinoma cells MDA-MB-231. J Ethnopharmacol., 131, 95-103.
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 15-Jul-17 to 14-Jul-20]: "Development of a New Class of Photosensitizers, Cationic Boron Dipyroomethenes, for the Photodynamic Therapy on Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Infection" (HK$1,193,998).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 15-May-14 to 14-May-17]: "Photodynamic Therapy Mediated by Natural Products on Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)-infected Wound" (HK$899,528).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-May-14 to 30-Apr-16]: "Enhancing Antibiotics Efficacy by Combinations of Active Ingredients from Traditional Chinese Medicine against Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus" (HK$999,528).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 15-Mar-14 to 14-Mar-16]: "Regulation of Glucose Balance in Type II Diabetes by Combined Action of Low-magnitude High-frequency Vibration and a Chinese Herb: In Vitro and In Vivo Study" (HK$954,528).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-Mar-14 to 28-Feb-16]: "The Combination Use of Cardiovascular Drugs with Danshen-Gegen Decoction on Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia and Atheroslcerosis" (HK$999,872).