Research Assistant Professor of the Institute for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine
Telephone: 3943 0645
Rm 107A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. LEE Chien-Wei (李建緯)'s research interest focuses on ageing related diseases, such as osteosarcopenia and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. He also seeks to explore the translational application of mesenchymal stem cells. He has extensively studied the epigenetic regulation of MSCs and has discovered the hepatogenic lineage plasticity of mesenchymal stem cells. Prof. Lee has published in several leading journals such as Gastroenterology, Stem Cell Reports, Translational Research and Scientific Reports. Prof. Lee has investigated the epigenetic modifiers governing the proliferation and differentiation process of MSCs. He has demonstrated that the manipulation of TGF-β1-DNA methyltransferases axis accelerates hepatogenic differentiation of MSCs and governs the cell fate switch of primary hepatocyte toward MSC-like cells. He also found dexamethasone-induced osteoporosis is epigenetically controlled by histone deacetylase 6. Now, the primary research theme of Prof. Lee’s study is the therapeutic potential and the mechanisms of MSCs and their exosomes in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and osteosarcopenia.
- Study the application of MSC-derived exosomes in diseases.
- Investigation of the use of stem cell-based therapy to treat ageing-related problems.
- Ginkgo Biloba leaf extract-based therapy in muscle and bone problems.
- Wan, Z., Shin, L.Y., Wang, Y.F., Huang, Z., Dong Y, Lee, C.W., Kumta, S.M., & Lee, O.K.# (2020). Skeletal macrophages play a central role in promoting fracture repair: a systematic review. Biomedical Reports, Aug.
- Wan, Z., Lee, C.W., Yuan, S., & Lee, O.K.# (2020). Can p63 serve as a biomarker for the diagnosis of giant cell tumor of bone: a systematic review and meta-analysis. São Paulo Medical Journal, Jun.
- Xu, H.T., Lee, C.W., Li, M.Y., Wang, Y.F., Yung, P.S., & Lee, O.K. (2019). The shift in macrophages polarisation after tendon injury: A systematic review. Journal of Orthopaedic Translation, 12 (21), 24-34. doi: 10.1016/j.jot.2019.11.009.
- Hu, C.H., Tseng, Y.W., Lee, C.W., Chiou, C.Y., Chuang, S.S., Yang, J.Y., & Lee, O.K. (2019). Combination of Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Conditioned Medium and Botulinum Toxin Type A for Treating Human Hypertrophic Scars. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, pii: S1748-6815(19)30344-4. doi: 10.1016/j.bjps.2019.07.010.
- Lee, C.W.#, Chen, Y.F.#, Wu, H.H.#, & Lee, O.K. (2017). Historical Perspectives and Advances in Mesenchymal Stem Cell Research for the Treatment of Liver Diseases. Gastroenterology, 154(1), 46-56.
- Lee, C.W., Huang, C.W., Huang, H.D., Huang, Y.H., Ho, J.H., Yang, M.H., Yang, V.W., & Lee, O.K. (2017). DNA methyltransferases modulate hepatogenic lineage plasticity of mesenchymal stromal cells. Stem Cell Reports, 9(1), 247-264.
- Lee, C.W., Hsiao, W.T., & Lee, O.K. (2017). Mesenchymal stromal cell-based therapies reduce obesity and metabolic syndromes induced by a high-fat diet. Translational Research, 182, 61-74.
- Rimando, M.G., Wu, H.H., Liu, Y.A., Lee, C.W., Kuo, S.W., Lo, Y.P., Tseng, K.F., Liu, Y.S., & Lee, O.K. (2016). Glucocorticoid receptor and histone deacetylase 6 mediate the differential effect of dexamethasone during osteogenesis of mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs). Scientific Reports, 6, 37371.
# Co-first author
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 2020 to 2022]: "Exploration of effects and molecular mechanism of ginkgolide B in treating ageing-related osteoporosis" (HK$920,567).