- Vice Chairman, Hong Kong Biotechnology Organization
- Panel Member, Admission Panel of Technology Business Incubation Programme, Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation
- Scientific consultant, BGI-Hong Kong
- Director, EggLogics Limited
Telephone: 3943 4436
Rm 622A, 6/F., Lo Kwee Seong Integrated Biomedical Sci. Bldg, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. LEE Tin Lap (李天立) is an Associate Professor in the School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He has previously conducted research at National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the United States and was a Staff Scientist at the Laboratory of Clinical Genomics, National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) and Project Coordinator at National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). His research interests include germ cell and stem cell biology, and biomedical informatics. He identified various non-coding RNA and epigenetic regulations that contribute to normal or disease states in germ cell and stem cell development. He also developed algorithms and databases to facilitate genomic data mining, including GermSAGE, GonadSAGE. TileMapper and the GermlncRNA. His works have been recognized NIH Merit Award, The NIH Fellows Award for Research Excellence and young scholar awards from American Association for Cancer Research and American Nanomedicine Society.
- Genomic regulations of germ cell development and aging.
- Regenerative biology of male germline stem cells and oocytes.
- Biomedical informatics.
- Liao, J., Ng, S.H., Luk, A.C., Suen, H.C., Qian, Y., Lee, A.W.T, Tu, J., Fung, J.C.L., Tang, N.L.S., Feng, B., Chan, W.Y., Fouchet, P., Hobbs, R.M., & Lee, T.L. (2019). Revealing cellular and molecular transitions in neonatal germ cell differentiation using single cell RNA sequencing. Development, 146(6), pii: dev174953. doi: 10.1242/dev.174953.
- Qian, Y., Liao, J., Suen, A.H.C., Lee, A.W.T., Chung, H.S., Tang, N.L.S, Chow, K.L., Cao, Q., Yip, Y.L., Leung, T.Y., Chan, W.Y., Chan, D.Y.L., Li, T.C., & Lee, T.L. (2019). Comparative analysis of single-cell parallel sequencing approaches in oocyte application. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 107, 1-5.
- Tu, J., Zhang, P., Luk, A.C., Liao, J., Chan, W.Y., Qi, H., Cheung, H.C., & Lee, T.L. (2018). MicroRNA-26b promotes transition from Kit- to Kit+ mouse spermatogonia. Experimental Cell Research, 373(1-2), 71-79.
- Zhao, L. H., Liu, X., Yan, H.X., Li, W.Y., Zeng, X., Yang, Y., Zhao, J., Liu, S.P., Zhuang, X.H., Lin, C., Qin, C.J., Zhao, Y., Pan, Z.Y., Huang, G., Liu, H., Zhang, J., Wang, R.Y., Wen, W., Lv, G.S., Zhang, H.L., Wu, H., Huang, S., Wang, M.D., Tang, L., Cao, H.Z., Wang, L., Lee, T.L., Jiang, H., Tan, Y.X., Yuan, S.X., Hou, G.J., Tao, Q.F., Xu, Q.G., Zhang, X.Q., Wu, M.C., Xu, X., Wang, J., Yang, H.M., Zhou, W.P., & Wang, H.Y. (2016). Genomic and oncogenic preference of HBV integration in hepatocellular carcinoma. Nature Communications, 7, 12992.
- Tu, J.J., Ng, S.H., Luk, A.C.S., Liao, J.Y., Jiang, X.H., Feng, B., Mak, K.K.L., Rennert, O.M., Chan, W.Y., & Lee, T.L. (2015). MicroRNA-29b/Tet1 regulatory axis epigenetically modulates mesendoderm differentiation in mouse embryonic stem cells. Nucleic Acids Research, 43(16), 7805-7822.
- Luk, A.C.S., Gao, H., Xiao, S., Liao, J.Y., Wang, D., Tu, J.J., Rennert, O.M., Chan, W.Y., & Lee, T.L. (2015). GermlncRNA: a unique catalogue of long non-coding RNAs and associated regulations in male germ cell development. Database (Oxford), bav044.
- Qian, Y., Tu, J.J., Tang, N.L.S., Kong, G., Chung, J.P., Chan, W.Y., & Lee, T.L. (2015). MicroRNAs mediated targeting on the Yin-yang dynamics of DNA methylation in disease and development. International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, 67, 121-127.
- Chen, X., Gu, S., Chen, B.F., Shen, W.L., Yin, Z., Xu, G.W., Hu, J.J., Zhu, T., Li, G., Wan, C., Ouyang, H.W., Lee, T.L.*, & Chan, W.Y.* (2015). Nanoparticle delivery of stable miR-199a-5p agomir improves the osteogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cells via the HIF1a pathway. Biomaterials, 53, 239-250.
- Luk, A.C.S., Chan, W.Y., Rennert, O.M., & Lee, T.L. (2014). Long noncoding RNAs in spermatogenesis: insights from recent high-throughput transcriptome studies. Reproduction, 147(5), R131-R141.
- Li, P., Goecks, J., & Lee, T.L. (2012). Turning pipe dreams into reality. Genome Biology, 13(8).
- Lee, T.L., Raitano, J.M., Rennert, O.M., Chan, S.W., & Chan, W.Y. (2012). Accessing the genomic effects of naked nanoceria in murine neuronal cells. Nanomedicine-Nanotechnology Biology and Medicine, 8(5), 599-608.
- Zhu, R.X., Cheng, A.S., Lau, S.S., Chen, Y.C., Lee, T.L., Wong, V.W., Sung, J.J., & Chan, H.L.Y. (2011). Genome-Wide Binding Analysis of Carboxyl-Terminal Truncated HBx Reveals Direct Repression of a Negative Growth Regulator, GAS2, in Hepatucellular Carcinoma. Gastroenterology, 140(5), S144-S144.
- Cheung, H.H., Davis, A.J., Lee, T.L., Pang, A.L., Nagrani, S., Rennert, O.M., & Chan, W.Y. (2011). Methylation of an intronic region regulates miR-199a in testicular tumor malignancy. Oncogene, 30(31), 3404-3415.
- Lee, T.L., Li, Y. M., Cheung, H.H., Claus, J., Singh, S., Sastry, C., Rennert, O.M., Lau, Y.F.C., & Chan, W.Y. (2010). GonadSAGE: a comprehensive SAGE database for transcript discovery on male embryonic gonad development. Bioinformatics, 26(4), 585-586.
- Kokkinaki, M., Lee, T.L.*, He, Z.P., Jiang, J.J., Golestaneh, N., Hofmann, M.C., Chan, W.Y., & Dym, M. (2010). Age affects gene expression in mouse spermatogonial stem/progenitor cells. Reproduction, 139(6), 1011-1020.
- Lee, T.L., Cheung, H.H., Claus, J., Sastry, C., Singh, S., Vu, L., Rennert, O., & Chan, W.Y. (2009). GermSAGE: a comprehensive SAGE database for transcript discovery on male germ cell development. Nucleic Acids Research, 37, D891-D897.
- Lee, T.L., Yeh, J., Friedman, J., Yan, B., Yang, X.P., Yeh, N.T., Van Waes, C., & Chen, Z. (2008). A signal network involving coactivated NF-kappa B and STAT3 and altered p53 modulates BAX/BCL-XL expression and promotes cell survival of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. International Journal of Cancer, 122(9), 1987-1998.
- Lee, T.L. (2008). Big data: open-source format needed to aid wiki collaboration. Nature, 455(7212), 461-461.
- Yan, B., Yang, X.P., Lee, T.L.*, Friedman, J., Tang, J., Van Waes, C., & Chen, Z. (2007). Genome-wide identification of novel expression signatures reveal distinct patterns and prevalence of binding motifs of p53, NF-kappaB and other signal transcription factors in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Genome Biology, 8(5), R78.
- Lee, T.L.*, Yang, X.P., Yan, B., Friedman, J., Duggal, P., Bagain, L., Dong, G., Yeh, N.T., Wang, J., Zhou, J., Elkahloun, A., Van Waes, C., & Chen, Z. (2007). A novel nuclear factor-kappaB gene signature is differentially expressed in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas in association with TP53 status. Clinical Cancer Research, 13(19), 5680-5691. (Featured on cover page).
* Corresponding / Co-corresponding author
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-21 to 31-Dec-23]: “Deciphering a novel human menstrual blood-derived cell population that confers quality improvement on aged human oocytes” (HK$1,195,542).
- ITC- Technology Start-up Support Scheme for Universities (TSSSU) [PI; 17-Apr-20 to 31-Mar-21]: “EggLogics” (HK$500,000).
- ITC- Innovation Technology Fund [PI; 01-Apr-20 to 31-Mar-21]: “Enhancing in vitro maturation of human oocytes through development of a non-invasive mitochondria transfer platform” (HK$1,119,525).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-19 to 31-Dec-21]: "Dissecting Epigenetic Targets and Molecular regulations of Thymine DNA Glycosylase (Tdg) in Male Germline Stem Cell Development" (HK$763,101).
- RGC - Collaborative Research Fund (CRF) [PI; 30-Jun-17 to 29-Jun-20]: "Elucidating Genomic Signatures Associated with Age-related Decline in Oocyte Quality: From Molecular mechanisms to Applications" (HK$6,165,827).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 16-Sep-16 to 15-Sep-18]: "Targeting Glaucoma by Non-viral Transdifferentiation of Spermatogonial Stem Cell-derived Embryonic Stem (SSC-ES) Cells towards Retinal Ganglion Cells" (HK$1,199,328).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-14 to 30-Jun-17]: "Genome-wide Identification and Characterization of Tet-mediated DNA Hydroxymethylation in Spermatogonial Stem Cell Development" (HK$874,693).