Telephone: +852 3943 6879
Fax: +852 26035123
Room 609A, 6/F., Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. LEUNG Po Sing (梁寶成) was Assistant Professor (1996-1998) and Associate Professor (1998-2003), and is currently Professor (2003-now) in the School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). He received his BSc in Biology (1986), The National Taiwan Normal University; PhD in Biochemistry (1993), The Queen’s University of Belfast; UK Soulby Postdoc Fellowship (1993-1994), Japan Science and Technology Agency Postdoc Fellowship (1994-1995); and CUHK Postdoc Fellowship (1995-1996).
Professor Leung has major research interest in the field of pancreatic islet cell health and diseases, with a particular focus on islet cell function and survival, as well as islet cell regeneration and development in diabetes. Since joining CUHK, he has been striving to investigate into novel factors that improve islet β-cell secretion while protecting β-cell apoptosis; these agents include FGF21, GPR120, vitamin D, GLP1 and the RAS over the past two decades. He has published over 200 original and review papers in international refereed journals as well as several books, book chapters, letters, commentaries, and editorials, etc. He has served editorial boards/associate editors of journals in the field, including Molecular Metabolism; Antioxidants & Redox Signaling; Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolism; American Journal of Physiology - Endo & Metab; Stem Cells & Development, etc.
- Pancreatic islet cell biology and diabetes.
- Pancreatic progenitor cell and islet development.
- Novel agents/drugs for treating diabetes and pancreatic cancer.
- Yang, B.C., & Leung, P.S. (2020). Irisin is a positive regulator for ferroptosis in pancreatic cancer. Molecular Therapy: Oncolytics,18, 457- 466.
- Wu, S.Y., Liang, J., Yang, B., & Leung, P.S. (2019). SIRT1 activation promotes β-cell regeneration by activating endocrine progenitor cells via AMPK signalling-mediated fatty acid oxidation. Stem Cells, 37, 1416-1428.
- Wang, Y., Xie, T., Zhang, D., & Leung, P.S. (2019). GPR120 protects lipotoxicity-induced pancreatic beta-cell dysfunction through regulation of PDX1 expression and inhibition of islet inflammation in mice. Clinical Science, 133, 101-116.
- Chan, K.Y., Wang, Y., Ng, K.W., & Leung, P.S. (2018). Na+/H+ exchanger 3 blockade ameliorates type 2 diabetes mellitus via inhibition of SGLT1-mediated glucose absorption in the small intestine. Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolism, 20, 709-717.
- Zhang, D., Xie, T., & Leung, P.S. (2018). Irisin ameliorates glucolipotoxicity-associated beta-cell dysfunction and apoptosis via AMPK sigaling and anti-inflammatory actions. Cellular Physiology & Biochemistry, 51, 924-937.
- Li, Y.T., Cheng, T.W., Zhang, D., & Leung, P.S. (2017). Identification and functional implications of sodium/myo-inositol cotransporter-1 in pancreatic beta-cells and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes, 66, 1258-1271.
- Zhang, D., So, W.Y., Wang, Y., Wu, S.Y., Cheng, Q., & Leung, P.S. (2017). Insulinotropic effects of GPR120 agonists are altered in obese diabetic and obese non-diabetic states. Clinical Science, 131, 247-260.
- Liang, J., Wu, S.Y., Zhang, D., Wang, L., Leung, K.K., & Leung, P.S. (2016). NADPH oxidase-dependent reactive oxygen species stimulate beta-cell regeneration through differentiation of endocrine progenitors in murine pancreas. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, 24, 419-433.
- Cheng, T.W., Chen, L., Li, Y.T., Mayoux E., & Leung, P.S. (2016). The effects of empagliflozin, an SGLT2 inhibitor, on pancreatic β-cell mass and glucose homeostasis in type 1 diabetes. PLoS One, 11, e0147391.
- So, W.Y., & Leung, P.S. (2016). Fibroblast growth factor 21 as an emerging therapeutic target for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Medicinal Research Reviews, 36, 672-704.
- So, W.Y., Cheng, Q., Xu, A., Lam, S.L., & Leung, P.S. (2015). Loss of fibroblast growth factor 21 action induces insulin resistance, pancreatic islet hyperplasia and dysfunction in mice. Cell Death and Disease, 6, e1707.
- Chen, L., So, W.Y., Li, S.Y.T., Cheng, Q., Boucher, B.J., & Leung, P.S. (2015). Niacin-induced hyperglycemia is partially mediated via niacin receptor GPR109a in pancreatic islets. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 404, 56-66.
- Wang, L., Liang, J., & Leung, P.S. (2015). The ACE2/Ang-(1-7)/Mas axis regulates the development of pancreatic endocrine cells in mouse embryos. PLoS One, 10, e0128216.
- Leung, K.K., Liang, J., Zhao, S., Chan, W.Y., & Leung, P.S. (2014). Angiotensin II type 2 receptor regulates the development of pancreatic endocrine cells in mouse embryos. Developmental Dynamics, 243, 415-427.
- So, W.Y., Cheng, Q., Chen, L., Evans-Molina, E., Xu, A., Lam, S.L., & Leung, P.S. (2013). High glucose represses β-klotho expression and impairs fibroblast growth factor 21 action in mouse pancreatic islets: involvement of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma signaling. Diabetes, 62, 3751-3759.
- Cheng, Q., Boucher, B.J., & Leung, P.S. (2013). Modulation of hypovitaminosis D-induced islet dysfunction and insulin resistance through direct suppression of the pancreatic islet renin-angiotensin system in mice. Diabetologia, 56, 553-562.
- Leung, K.K., Liang, J., Ma, M.T., & Leung, P.S. (2012). Angiotensin II type 2 receptor is critical for the development of human fetal pancreatic progenitor cells into islet-like cell clusters and their potential for transplantation. Stem Cells, 30, 525-536.
- Cheng, Q., Li, Y.C., Boucher, B.J., & Leung, P.S. (2011). A novel role for vitamin D: modulation of expression and function of the local renin-angiotensin system in mouse pancreatic islets. Diabetologia, 54, 2077-2081.
- Leung, P.S., & Chan, Y.C. (2009). Role of oxidative stress in pancreatic inflammation. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, 11, 135-165.
- Wong, T.P., Debnam, E.S., & Leung, P.S. (2007). Involvement of an enterocyte renin-angiotensin system in the local control of SGLT1-dependent glucose uptake across the rat small intestinal border membrane. Journal of Physiology, 584, 613-623.
- Chu, K.Y., & Leung, P.S. (2007). Angiotensin II type 1 receptor antagonism mediates uncoupling protein 2-driven oxidative stress and ameliorates pancreatic β-cell function in young type 2 diabetic mice. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, 9, 869-878.
- Chu, K.Y., Lau, T., Carlsson, P.O., & Leung, P.S. (2006). AT1 receptor blockade improves β-cell function and glucose tolerance in mouse model of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes, 55, 367-374.
- Leung, P.S., Srai, S.K., Mascarenhas, M., Churchill, L.J., & Debnam, E.S. (2005). Increased duodenal iron transport in a rat model of chronic hypoxia is accompanied by reduced hepcidin expression. Gut, 54, 1391-1395.
- Lau, T., Carlsson, P.O., & Leung, P.S. (2004). Evidence for a local angiotensin-generating system and dose-dependent inhibition of glucose-stimulated insulin release by angiotensin II in isolated pancreatic islets. Diabetologia, 47, 240-248.
- Innovation & Technology Commission-Innovation and Technology [PI; 04-Mar-19 to 03-Mar-21]: "Low-cost Highly Sensitive Glucose Sensors for Noninvasive Glucose Detection".
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-16 to 30-Jun-19]: "A Novel Role for Fibroblast Growth Factor 21 in the Modulation of Lipid Metabolism and in the Protection against Lipotoxicity in Pancreatic Islets with Potentially Therapeutic Implications".
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-Mar-15 to 28-Feb-17]: "An Investigation into The Therapeutic Potential of Human Fetal Pancreatic Progenitor Cells for Islet Transplantation".
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-15 to 31-Dec-17]: "The Regulatory action of Vitamin D Signalling in the Determination of Hepatic Insulin Resistance and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus".
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-14 to 30-Jun-17]: "A Novel Role for Pancreatic Islet Fatty Acid Receptor GPR120 in Modulating and Protecting Pancreatic Islet Function".