BSc, MPhil, PhD
Telephone: 3943 6872
205A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
- Mechanism of anticancer action of ribosome inactivating proteins.
- Mechanism of anticancer action of lactoferrin and derivatives.
- Enzymes including laccases, ribonucleases, proteases, alpha-galactosidases, and nitrite reductases.
- Defense proteins including antifungal proteins, antibacterial proteins, whey proteins, protease inhibitors, and lectins
- Bioactive compounds including polysaccharides, polyphenols and polysaccharopeptides
- Dan, X., Liu, W., Wong, J.H. and Ng, T.B. (2016). A Ribonuclease Isolated from Wild Ganoderma Lucidum Suppressed Autophagy and Triggered Apoptosis in Colorectal Cancer Cells. Front Pharmacol., 7, 217.
- Dan, X. and Ng, T.B. (2016). Two legume defense proteins suppress the mobility of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. J. Enzyme Inhib. Med. Chem., 10,1-7.
- Chan, Y.S., Xia, L. and Ng, T.B. (2016). White kidney bean lectin exerts anti-proliferative and apoptotic effects on cancer cells. Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 85, 335-345.
- Pan, W.L. and Ng, T.B. (2015) A. dimeric Phaseolus coccineus lectin with anti-oxidative, anti-proliferative and cytokine-inducing activities. Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 81, 960-966.
- Yin, C., Wong, J.H. and Ng, T.B. (2015). Isolation of a Hemagglutinin with Potent Antiproliferative Activity and a Large Antifungal Defensin from Phaseolus vulgaris cv. Hokkaido Large Pinto Beans. J Agric Food Chem., 63(22),5439-5448.
- Dan, X., Wong, J.H., Fang, E.F., Chan, F.C., Ng, T.B. (2015). Purification and characterization of a novel hemagglutinin with inhibitory activity toward osteocarcinoma cells from northeast China black beans. J. Agric. Food Chem. 63(15), 3903-3914.
- Akkouh, O., Ng, T.B., Cheung, R.C., Wong, J.H., Pan, W., Ng, C.C., Sha, O., Shaw, P.C. and Chan, W.Y. (2015). Biological activities of ribosome-inactivating proteins and their possible applications as antimicrobial, anticancer, and anti-pest agents and in neuroscience research. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 99(23), 9847-9863.
- Yau, T., Dan, X., Ng, C.C. and Ng, T.B. (2015). Lectins with potential for anti-cancer therapy. Molecules, 20(3), 3791-3810.
- Feldinger, K., Generali, D., Kramer-Marek, G., Gijsen, M., Ng, T.B., Wong, J.H., Strina, C., Cappelletti, M., Andreis, D., Li, J.L., Bridges, E., Turley, H., Leek, R., Roxanis, I., Capala, J., Murphy, G., Harris, A.L. and Kong, A. (2014) ADAM10 mediates trastuzumab resistance and is correlated with survival in HER2 positive breast cancer. Oncotarget., 5(16), 6633-6646.
- Pan, W.L., Wong, J.H., Fang, E.F., Chan, Y.S., Ng ,T.B. and Cheung, R.C. (2014). Preferential cytotoxicity of the type I ribosome inactivating protein alpha-momorcharin on human nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells under normoxia and hypoxia. Biochem Pharmacol., 89(3), 329-339. PubMed PMID: 24637239.
- Lin, P., Wong, J.H., Ng, T.B., Ho, V.S. and Xia, L. (2013). A sorghum xylanase inhibitor-like protein with highly potent antifungal, antitumor and HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activities. Food Chem., 141(3), 2916-2922.
- Pan, W.L., Wong, J.H., Fang, E.F., Chan, Y.S., Ye, X.J., Ng, T.B. (2013). Differential inhibitory potencies and mechanisms of the type I ribosome inactivating protein marmorin on estrogen receptor (ER)-positive and ER-negative breast cancer cells. Biochim Biophys Acta., 1833(5), 987-996.
- Fang, E.F., Zhang, C.Z., Wong, J.H., Shen, J.Y., Li, C.H. and Ng, T.B. (2012). The MAP30 protein from bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) seeds promotes apoptosis in liver cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Lett., 324(1), 66-74.
- Fang, E.F., Zhang, C.Z., Fong, W.P. and Ng, T.B. (2012). RNase MC2: a new Momordica charantia ribonuclease that induces apoptosis in breast cancer cells associated with activation of MAPKs and induction of caspase pathways. Apoptosis, 17(4), 377-387.
- Fang, E.F., Bah, C.S., Wong, J.H., Pan, W.L., Chan, Y.S., Ye, X.J. and Ng, T.B. (2012). A potential human hepatocellular carcinoma inhibitor from Bauhinia purpurea L. seeds: from purification to mechanism exploration. Arch Toxicol., 86(2), 293-304.
- Zhang, W., Tian, G., Feng, S., Wong, J.H., Zhao, Y., Chen, X., Wang, H. and Ng, T.B. (2015). Boletus edulis Nitrite Reductase Reduces Nitrite Content of Pickles and Mitigates Intoxication in Nitrite-intoxicated Mice. Sci. Rep., 5,14907.
- Wang, Y., Liang, W.C., Pan, W.L., Law, W.K., Hu, J.S., Ip, D.T., Waye, M.M., Ng, T.B. and Wan, D.C. (2014). Silibinin, a novel chemokine receptor type 4 antagonist, inhibits chemokine ligand 12-induced migration in breast cancer cells. Phytomedicine, 21(11), 1310-1317.
- Li, C.H., Xu, F., Chow, S., Feng, L., Yin, D., Ng, T.B. and Chen Y. Hepatitis B virus X protein promotes hepatocellular carcinoma transformation through interleukin-6 activation of microRNA-21 expression. Eur. J. Cancer 50(15), 2560-2569.
- Zhang, R., Zhao, L., Wang, H. and Ng, T.B. (2014). A novel ribonuclease with antiproliferative activity toward leukemia and lymphoma cells and HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity from the mushroom, Hohenbuehelia serotina. Int. J. Mol. Med., 33(1), 209-214.