電話: 3943 5153
Room 421A, 4/F, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sci. Bldg, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. JIANG Yangzi (姜洋子) received Bachelor (2007, Biology) and PhD (2012, Sports Medicine) in Zhejiang University, China, and received her postdoctoral training (2012-2018) at University of Pittsburgh, USA. Prof. Jiang joined CUHK in 2018 as Research Assistant Professor at institute for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (iTERM), School of Biomedical Sciences (SBS), and Assistant Professor (by courtesy) at Department of Orthopaedics & Traumatology (ORT).
Prof. Jiang has extensive multi-discipline expertise in basic scientific research, medical translational research and education in stem cells and regenerative medicine, particularly in bone and cartilage regeneration. She has contributed to both textbooks and industrial guidelines to the field of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, and her mentored students had been awarded with scholarships, research grants and honors from different universities, states and countries (China, Australia, and United States). Prof. Jiang’s previous research work has focused on creating tissue regeneration strategies of musculoskeletal system, particularly in bone and cartilage. Her publications cover the topics of stem cells, tissue engineering, cell transplantation, biomaterials, pathology of osteoarthritis, and translational medicine. Prof. Jiang has sought to understand the stem/progenitor cell origin (Nat Rev Rheum, 2015) and signaling pathways (Arthritis Res Ther, 2015) of human articular cartilage in both healthy and disease conditions, and apply these knowledges to instruct the production of functional tissue replacements for clinical use. Prof. Jiang’s work of taking the cartilage derived stem/progenitor cells for repair large-size of osteochondral defect (6-13 cm2, ave 8.5 cm2) in 15 young patients (Stem Cells Transl Med, 2016) has also paved a way for the autologous cell-based Tissue Engineering Techniques as Class III Therapeutics in China (J Ortho Transl, 2014), and many patients had been benefited.
In 2019, Prof. Jiang led the first team in Hong Kong to receive national-level, cross-border research funding under the "Young Scientist Scheme" of National Key Research and Development (R&D) Program from Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) of China (PI, ~HK$6M, directly transferred to CUHK). [News is covered here.]
- Development of therapeutic strategies for musculoskeletal tissue regeneration.
- The mechanism for degenerative and inflammatory diseases.
- Cell based therapy and translational medicine.
- Zhu, X., Chan, Y.T., Yung, S.H., Tuan, R.S.*, & Jiang, Y. *. (2020). Subchondral Bone Remodeling in Osteoarthritis. Frontiers in Cell & Developmental Biology , doi: 10.3389/fcell.2020.607764.
- Jiang, Y., Wang, D., Blocki, A., & Tuan, R. S. (2020). Mesenchymal stem cells in musculoskeletal tissue engineering. In: Lanza R, Langer R, Vacanti JP, Atala A. (eds) Principles of Tissue Engineering, 5th Edition. Elsevier , doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-818422-6.00051-4. [#Remark: the field definitive textbook of Tissue Engineering]
- Li, K., Ning, T., Wang, H., Jiang, Y., Zhang, J., & Ge, Z. (2020). Nanosecond Pulsed Electric Fields Enhance Mesenchymal Stem Cells Differentiation via DNMT1 regulated OCT4/NANOG gene expression. Stem Cell Research & Therapy, doi:1186/s13287-020-01821-5.
- Jiang, Y.*, & Tuan, R.S.* (2019). Role of NGF/TrkA Signaling in Calcification of Articular Chondrocytes. The FASEB Journal, 33(9), 10231-10239, doi: 10.1096/fj.201900970.
- Sun, J., Ma, X., Chu, H.T., Feng, B., Tuan, R.S., & Jiang, Y.* (2019). Biomaterials and Advanced Biofabrication Techniques in hiPSCs Based Neuromyopathic Disease Modeling. Front Bioeng Biotechnol, 29(7), 373, doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2019.00373.
- He, J.#, Jiang, Y.#, Alexander, P.G., Ulici, V., Zhu, Y., Wu, S., & Tuan, R.S. (2017). Infrapatellar Fat Pad Aggravates Degeneration of Acute Traumatized Cartilage: A Possible Role for Interleukin-6. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 25(1), 138-145, doi: 10.1016/j.joca.2016.09.001.
- Jiang, Y., Lin, H., Tuan, R.S. (2017). Chapter 1, Overview- State of the Art and Future Prospectives of cartilage repair. In: Grässel/Aszódi. (eds) Cartilage-Volume 3: Repair Strategies and Regeneration, Springer. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-53316-2_1.
- Jiang, Y., Cai, Y., Zhang, W., Hu, C., Tong, T., Lu, P., Zhang, S., Neculai, D., Tuan, R., & Ouyang, H.W. (2016). Human Cartilage Derived Progenitor Cells From Committed Chondrocytes for Efficient Cartilage Repair and Regeneration. Stem Cells Translational Medicine, 5, 1-12, doi: 10.5966/sctm.2015-0192. [#Remark: this work was specially reviewed and commented by the journal here; and the news has been covered by NSFC report here]
- Jiang, Y., Hu, C., Yu, S., Yan, J., Peng, H., Ouyang, H.W., & Tuan, R.S. (2015). Cartilage Stem/Progenitor Cells are Activated in Osteoarthritis via Interleukin-1β/Nerve Growth Factor Signaling. Arthritis Research and Therapy, 17, 327, doi: 10.1186/s13075-015-0840-x.
- Jiang, Y., & Tuan, R.S. (2015). Origin and Function of Cartilage Stem/Progenitor Cells in Osteoarthritis. Nature Reviews Rheumatology, 11(4), 206-12, doi:10.1038/nrrheum.2014.200.
- Zhang, W., Heng, B.C., Jiang, Y.*, & Ouyang, H.W.* (2014). Clinical Translation of Autologous Cell-based Tissue Engineering Techniques as Class III Therapeutics in China: Taking Cartilage Tissue Engineering as An Example. Journal of Orthopaedic Translation, 2(2), 56-65, doi: 10.1016/j.jot.2014.02.002. [#Remark: invited to introduce the unique medical translational experience in China]
- 歐陽宏偉，姜洋子,等, 主編：付小兵. (2014第二版，2019第三版). “軟骨組織工程”章節，醫學專業研究生國家級規劃教材《創傷、燒傷與再生醫學》, [chapter leading writer; ISBN13：9787117186506].
* Corresponding / Co-corresponding author
# Co-first author
Google Scholar for Full Publication:
- Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) of China, National Key R&D Program, Young Scientist Scheme (國家重點研發計劃“幹細胞與轉化醫學”重點專項,青年科學家項目) [PI; 2019 to 2023]: "Stem Cells and Translational Medicine" (HK$6,000,000).
- National Key Research and Development (R&D) Program, Young Scientist Scheme, awarded by Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) of China, China (2019-11) 國家重點研發計劃 “幹細胞與轉化醫學”重點專項，首席青年科學家 [1/1] .
- 2nd Prize, COA Orthopaedics Youth Research Award (2018), Chinese Medical Association, Chinese Orthopaedic Association, The 13th Annual Congress of Chinese Orthopaedic Association, China 11/2018 中華醫學會骨科學分會 骨科基礎青年研究獎 [1/1].
- 1st Prize, 10th “Chunhui Cup” Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition (2015) for Oversea Chinese Scholars, North America Division (New York Consular District), Ministry of Education & Ministry of Science and Technology of China, 11/2015 [2/6].
- 4th Award Winner, RFBI Competition (2015), innovation Institute, University of Pittsburgh, PA, United States, 06/2015 [4/4] .
- 1st Prize, Science and Technology Progress Award, Ministry of Education, China, 01/2013 [3/9] 中華人民共和國教育部 科技進步一等獎 (第3完成人，證書編號：2012-173).
- Endeavour Research Fellowship, the Merit-based Endeavour Award, Ministry of Education, Australia 01/2012 [1/1] .
- Outstanding Ph.D. graduate of Zhejiang Province, Zhejiang, China, 06/2012 [1/1] .
- Qiu-Shi Academic Star (求是學術之星), Zhejiang University, China, 06/2011 [1/1, top 0.05%] .