Telephone: 3943 9986
Prof. FOK Kin Lam Ellis (霍建霖) obtained his Ph.D. in physiology from the School of Biomedical Sciences (SBS), The Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2009. He continued his research after graduation and then moved to the Department of Medicine, McGill University in Canada as Post-doc Fellow in 2012. He joined SBS as a Research Assistant Professor in 2015, and he became an Assistant Professor in 2017.
Dr. Fok’s research mainly focuses on male reproduction and germline stem cell biology. His previous researches have uncovered the functions of a number of genes in spermatogenesis. He has also studied the sperm maturation process in detail and uncovered the dual role of a small peptide human β-defensin 1 in regulating the motility and bactericidal activity of sperm. During his training at McGill University, Dr. Fok has also looked into the biology of spermatogonial stem cells and revealed the involvement of a ubiquitin ligase in regulating the establishment and maintenance of spermatogonial stem cells. Over the years, Dr. Fok has published over 30 peer-review articles in decent journals including Science Translational Medicine and Cell Research. Dr. Fok has served as an invited reviewer for international journals and a grant reviewer for overseas funding bodies. He is also the review editor for the Frontiers journals.
- Biology of spermatogonial stem cells, spermatogenesis and sperm functions
- Etiology and therapeutic regimen of male infertility and related diseases
- Male contraception
- Fok, K.L.#, Bose, R.#, Sheng, K., Chang, C.W., Katz-Egorov, M., Culty, M., Su, S., Yang, M., Ruan, Y.C., Chan, H.C., Iavarone, A., Lasorella, A., Cencic, R., Pelletier, J., Nagano, M., Xu, W., Wing, S.S. (Equal contributions) (2017). Huwe1 Regulates the Establishment and Maintenance of Spermatogonia by Suppressing DNA Damage Response. Endocrinology, doi: 10.1210/en.2017-00396. PMID:28938460.
- Wang, C., Fok, K.L., Cai, Z., Chen, H., Chan, H.C. (2017). CD147 regulates extrinsic apoptosis in spermatocytes by modulating NFκB signaling pathways. Oncotarget, 8(2),3132-3143. PMID:27902973.
- Diao, R.＃, Fok, K.L.＃, Chen, H., Yu, M.K., Duan, Y., Chung, C.M., Li, Z., Wu, H., Li, Z., Zhang, H., Ji, Z., Zhen, W., Ng, C.F., Gui, Y., Cai, Z., Chan, H.C. (Equal contributions) (2014). Deficient human β-defensin 1 underlies male infertility associated with poor sperm motility and genital tract infection. Science Translational Medicine. 6(249),249ra108. PMID:25122636.
- Guo, J.H., Chen, H., Ruan, Y.C., Zhang, X.L., Zhang, X.H., Fok, K.L., Tsang, L.L., Yu, M.K., Huang, W.Q., Sun, X., Chung, Y.W., Jiang, X., Sohma, Y., Chan, H.C. (2014). Glucose-induced electrical activities and insulin secretion in pancreatic islet β-cells are modulated by CFTR. Nature Communications, 5,4420. PMID:25025956.
- Fok, K.L., Chen, H., Ruan, Y.C., Chan, H.C. (2014). Novel regulators of spermatogenesis (Review). Seminars in Cell & Developmental Biology, 29,31-42. PMID:24594193.
- Fok, K.L.＃, Chung, C.M.＃, Yi, S.Q., Jiang, X., Sun, X., Chen, H., Chen, Y.C., Kung, H.F., Tao, Q., Diao, R., Chan, H., Zhang, X.H., Chung, Y.W., Cai, Z., Chang, Chan H. (Equal contributions) (2012). STK31 maintains the undifferentiated state of colon cancer cells. Carcinogenesis, 33(11),2044-2053. PMID:22828137.
- Chen, J., Fok, K.L., Chen, H., Zhang, X.H., Xu, W.M., Chan, H.C. (2012). Cryptorchidism-induced CFTR down-regulation results in disruption of testicular tight junctions through up-regulation of NF-κB/COX-2/PGE2. Human Reproduction, 27(9),2585-2597. PMID:22777528.
- Ruan, Y.C., Guo, J.H., Liu, X., Zhang, R., Tsang, L.L., Dong, J.D., Chen, H., Yu, M.K., Jiang, X., Zhang, X.H., Fok, K.L., Chung, Y.W., Huang, H., Zhou, W.L., Chan, H.C. (2012). Activation of the epithelial Na+ channel triggers prostaglandin E₂ release and production required for embryo implantation. Nature Medicine, 18(7), 1112-1117. PMID:22729284.
- Lu, Y.C.＃, Chen, H.＃, Fok, K.L.＃, Tsang, L.L., Yu, M.K., Zhang, X.H., Chen, J., Jiang, X., Chung, Y.W., Ma, A.C., Leung, A.Y., Huang, H.F., Chan, H.C. (Equal contributions) (2012). CFTR mediates bicarbonate-dependent activation of miR-125b in preimplantation embryo development. Cell Research, 22(10), 1453-1466. PMID:22664907.
- Tang, X.X.＃, Fok, K.L.＃, Chen, H., Chan, K.S., Tsang, L.L., Rowlands, D.K., Zhang, X.H., Dong, J.D., Ruan, Y.C., Jiang, X., Yu, S.S., Chung, Y.W., Chan, H.C. (Equal contributions) (2012). Lymphocyte CFTR promotes epithelial bicarbonate secretion for bacterial killing. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 227(12),3887-3894. PMID:22552906.
- Chen, H.＃, Fok, K.L.＃, Jiang, X., Jiang, J., Chen, Z., Gui, Y., Chan, H.C., Cai, Z.. (Equal contributions) (2012). CD147 regulates apoptosis in mouse spermatocytes but not spermatogonia. Human Reproduction, 27(6), 1568-1576. PMID:22451502.
- Chen, H., Fok, K.L., Yu, S., Jiang, J., Chen, Z., Gui, Y., Cai, Z., Chan, H.C. (2011). CD147 is required for matrix metalloproteinases-2 production and germ cell migration during spermatogenesis. Molecular Human Reproduction, 17(7),405-414. PMID:21343160.