Research Assistant Professor
Telephone: 3943 9843
Room 406, 4/F, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. ZHOU Jingying (周京穎) obtained her Ph.D. degree in Microbiology from the AIDS Institute, Department of Microbiology, The University of Hong Kong (HKU) in 2013 and received the Awards for Outstanding Research Postgraduate Student (HKU). She continued her research as a postdoctoral fellow in Prof. Alfred Cheng’s lab, School of Biomedical Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and became a Research Assistant Professor in 2018. Prof. Zhou has published in international journals including Gut, Journal of Clinical Investigation, Cancer Research, Nature Communications, Nature Microbiology and served as co-inventor of two U.S. patents on DNA vaccines. She has received academic awards including recognitions from the American Association of Immunologists (AAI), United European Gastroenterology (UEG) and AstraZeneca. Prof. Zhou’s current research interests are innate and adaptive immune regulation in cancer, with particular focus on the mechanisms of tumor microenvironment in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and aiming at the enhancement of cancer immunotherapy.
- Innate and adaptive immune regulation in cancer.
- Transcriptional and epigenetic regulation of immune cells in cancer.
- Tumor immunotherapy.
- Liu M.#, Zhou J.#, Liu X., Feng Y., Yang W., Wu F., Cheung O.K., Sun H., Zeng X., Tang W., Mok M.T., Wong J., Yeung P.C., Lai P.B., Jin H., Chen J., Chan S.L., Chan A.W., To K.F., Chen Z., Sung J.J., Chen M., Cheng A.S. (2019). Targeting monocyte-intrinsic enhancer reprogramming improves immunotherapy efficacy in hepatocellular carcinoma. Gut, pii: gutjnl-2018-317257. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2018-317257.
- Sun, H., Yang, W., Tian, Y., Zeng, X., Zhou, J., Mok, M.T.S., Tang, W., Feng, Y., Xu, L., Chan, A.W.H., Tong, J.H., Cheung, Y.S., Lai, P.B.S., Wang, H.K.S., Tsang, S.W., Chow, K.L., Hu, M., Liu, R., Huang, L., Yang, B., Yang, P., To, K.F., Sung, J.J.Y., Wong, G.L.H., Wong, V.W.S. & Cheng, A.S. (2018). An inflammatory-CCRK circuitry drives mTORC1-dependent metabolic and immunosuppressive reprogramming in obesity-associated hepatocellular carcinoma. Nature Communications, 9(1): 5214.
- Zhou, J., Liu, M., Sun, H., Feng, Y., Xu, L., Chan, A.W.H., Tong, J.H., Wong, J., Chong, C.C.N., Lai, P.B.S., Wang, H.K., Tsang, S.W., Goodwin, T., Liu, R., Huang, L., Chen, Z., Sung, J.J., Chow, K.L., To, K.F. & Cheng, A.S. (2018). Hepatoma-intrinsic CCRK inhibition diminishes myeloid-derived suppressor cell immunosuppression and enhances immune-checkpoint blockade efficacy. Gut, 67(5): 931-944. (Commentary: Gut, 2018; 67: 783-784.)
- Mok, M.T., Zhou, J., Tang, W., Zeng, X., Oliver, A.W., Ward & S.E., Cheng, A.S. (2018). CCRK is a novel signalling hub exploitable in cancer immunotherapy. Pharmacology & Therapeutics, pii: S0163-7258(18)30015-9.
- Cheung, K.L., Kwok, H.Y., Huang, Y.R., Chen, M., Mo, Y.F.,Wu, X.L., Lam, K.S., Kong, H.K., Lau, C.K., Zhou, J., Li, J.J., Cheng, L., Lee, B.K., Peng, Q.L., Lu, X.F., An, M.H., Wang, H., Shang, S., Zhou, B.P., Wu, H., Xu, A.M., Yuen, K.Y. & Chen Z. (2017). Gut-homing Δ42PD1+Vδ2 T cells promote innate mucosal damage via TLR4 during Aacute HIV type 1 infection. Nature Microbiology, 2(10): 1389-1402.
- Liu, M.#, Zhou, J.#, Chen, Z. & Cheng, A.S. (2017). Understanding the epigenetic regulation of tumours and their microenvironments: opportunities and problems for epigenetic therapy. Journal of Pathology, 241(1): 10-24.
- Tan, Z.#, Zhou, J.#, Cheung, K.L., Yu, Z., Cheung, K.W., Liang, J., Wang, H., Lee, B., Man, K., Liu, L., Yuen, K. & Chen, Z. (2014). Vaccine-elicited CD8+ T cells cure mesothelioma by overcoming tumor-induced immunosuppressive environment. Cancer Research, 74: 6010-21.
- Zhou J.#, Cheung K.L.#, Liu, Henggui#, Tan, Z., Xian, Tang, Kang, Yuanxi, Du, Yanhua, Wang, Haibo, Liu, L. & Chen, Z. (2013). Potentiating functional antigen-specific CD8+ T cell immunity by a novel PD1 isoform-based fusion DNA vaccine. Molecular Therapy, 21(7): 1445-1455.
- Zhou, J., Cheung, K.L., Tan, Z., Wang, H., Yu, W., Du, Y., Liu, L., Yuen, K. & Chen, Z. (2013). PD1-based vaccine amplifies CD8+ T cell immunity in mice. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 123(6): 2629-42.
- Liu, L., Wei, Q., Alvarez, X., Wang, H., Du, Y., Zhu, H., Jiang, H., Zhou, J., Lam, P., Zhang, L., Lackner, A., Qin, C. & Chen, Z. (2011). Epithelial Cells Lining Salivary Gland Ducts Are Early Target Cells of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus Infection in the Upper Respiratory Tract of Rhesus Macaques. Journal of Virology, 85(8): 4025.
# Co-first author
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-20]: "Mechanistic delineation of myeloid CCRK signaling in tumor immunosuppression" (HK$1,004,845).
- AstraZeneca Pre-clinical Oncology Research Programme [PI; 30-Nov-17 to 29-Nov-19]: "Enhancement of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Immunotherapy through mTOR Inhibition" (HK$400,000).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-May-16 to 30-Apr-18]: "Elucidating the Immunoregulatory Role of the Oncogenic Cell-cycle Related Kinase (CCRK) in Obesity-related Hepatocellular Carcinoma" (HK$1,199,668).