BSc, DipEd, PhD
Telephone: 3943 6381
524A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. TSUI Kwok-Wing Stephen (徐國榮) is currently a professor in the School of Biomedical Sciences and directors of the Hong Kong Bioinformatics Centre and the Centre for Microbial Genomics and Proteomics in The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). In 1995, he received his Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry at CUHK and his thesis is related to the study of the human genome. He was then appointed as an Assistant Professor in the Biochemistry Department in 1997 and promoted to the full professorship in 2004. He was a former member of the International HapMap Consortium and worked on the single nucleotide polymorphisms of human chromosome 3p. During the SARS outbreak in 2003, his team was one of the earliest teams that cracked the complete genome of the SARS-coronavirus. Totally, he has published more than 220 scientific papers in international journals, including Nature, New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, PNAS, Circulation, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Genome Biology and Nucleic Acids Research. He is very interested in bioinformatics, comparative genomics and molecular biology of clinical pathogens including human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis B virus, influenza virus and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Most recently, he cracked the genome, transcriptome and microbiome of several dust mite species, which can be linked to the house dust mite allergy.
- Cancer biology and genomics.
- Dust mite allergy.
- Molecular virology.
- Metagenomics and human health.
- Yau, J.W.K., Hou, J., Tsui, S.K.W., Leung, T.F., Sze, C.N., Yam, C.S.J., Kam, K.W., Vishal, J., & Hon, K.L. (2019). Characterization of ocular and nasopharyngeal microbiome in allergic rhinoconjunctivitis. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, 30, 624-631.
- Ho, D.W.H., Tsui, Y.M., Sze, K.M.F., Chan, L.K., Cheung, T.T., Lee, E., Wu, A.R., Sham, P.C., Tsui, S.K.W., Lee, T.K.W., & Ng, I.O.L. (2019). Single-cell transcriptomics reveals the landscape of intra-tumoral heterogeneity and stemness-related subpopulations in liver cancer. Cancer Letters, 459, 176-185.
- Liang, W.C., Wong, C.W., Liang, P.P., Shi, M., Cao, Y., Tsui, S.K.W., Waye, M.M.Y., Fu, W.M., & Zhang, J.F. (2019). Translation of circular RNA circβ-catenin promotes liver cancer cell growth through activation of Wnt pathway. Genome Biology, 20, 84.
- Ponce, M., Schroeder, F., Bannert, C., Schmidthaler, K., Hansen, C.S., Bøgh, K.L., Soldo, R., Tsui, S.K.W., Weinhäusel, A., Szépfalusi, Z., & Eiwegger, T. (2019). Preventive sublingual allergen immunotherapy with house dust mite extract restrains epitope diversity in pre-school children. Allergy, 74, 780-787.
- Yang, Z., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2018). Functional annotation of proteins encoded by the minimal bacterial genome based on secondary structure element alignment. J Proteo Res, 17, 2511-2520.
- Liu, X.Y., Yang, K.Y., Wang, M., Kwok, J.S.L., Zeng, X., Yang, Z., Xiao, X.J., Lau, C.P.Y., Li, Y., Huang, Z., Ba, J.G., Yim, A.K.Y., Ouyang, C.Y., Ngai, S.M., Chan, T.F., Leung, E.L.H., Liu, L., Liu, Z.G., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2018). High-quality assembly of Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus genome and transcriptome reveals a wide range of novel allergens. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 141, 2268-2271.
- Tang, M.F., Sy, H.Y., Kwok, J.S., Tam, W.H., Hon, K.L., Tung, C.K., Wong, G.W., Tsui, S.K.W., & Leung, T.F. (2016). Eczema susceptibility and composition of faecal microbiota at four weeks of age: A pilot study in Chinese infants. Brit J Dermatol, 174, 898-900.
- Yang, K.Y., Chen, Y., Ng, P.K.S., Zhou, W.J., Chen, J.Y., Mao, B.Y., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2016). Transcriptome analysis of different developmental stages of amphioxus reveals dynamic changes of distinct classes of genes during development. Scientific Reports, 6, 23195.
- Zhang, Y., Li, S.K., Yang, K.Y., Liu, M.H., Lee, N., Tang, X., Wang, H., Liu, L., Chen, Z., Zhang, C.Y., Wang, J.H., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2015). Whole genome methylation array reveals the down-regulation of IGFBP6 and SATB2 by HIV-1. Scientific Reports, 5, 10806.
- Liu, M.H., Yang, B.R., Cheung, W.F., Yang, K.Y., Zhou, H.F., Kwok, J.S.L., Liu, G.C., Li, X.F., Zhong, S., Lee, S.M.Y., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2015). Transcriptome analysis of leaves, roots and flowers of Panax notoginseng identifies genes involved in ginsenoside and alkaloid biosynthesis. BMC Genomics, 16, 265.
- Chan, T.F., Ji, K.M., Yim, A.K.Y., Liu, X.Y., Zhou, J.W., Li, R.Q., Yang, K.Y., Li, J., Li, M., Law, P.T.W., Wu, Y.L., Cai, Z.L., Qin, H., Bao, Y., Leung, R.K.K., Ng, P.K.S., Zou, J., Zhong, X.J., Ran, P.X., Zhong, N.S., Liu, Z.G., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2015). The draft genome, transcriptome and microbiome of Dermatophagoides farinae reveal a broad spectrum of dust mite allergens. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 135, 539-548.
- Lou, S., Lee, H.M., Qin, H., Li, J.W., Gao, Z., Liu, X., Chan, L.L., Lam, V., So, W.Y., Wang, Y., Lok, S., Wang, J., Ma, R., Tsui, S.K.W., Chan, J., Chan, T.F., & Yip, K.Y. (2014). Whole-genome bisulfite sequencing of multiple individuals reveals complementary roles of promoter and gene body methylation in transcriptional regulation. Genome Biology, 15, 408.
- Leung, T.F., Ko, F.W.S., Sy, H.Y., Tsui, S.K.W., & Wong, G.W.K. (2014). Comparsion of asthma genetics between China and other regions of the world. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 133, 42-48.
- Leung, K.K., Zhou, J.W., Guan, W., Li, S.K., Yang, Z.F., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2013). Differences of respiratory microbiota in influenza virus-infected and non-influenza virus-infected pneumonia patients. Clin Microbiol Infect, 19, 930-935.
- Li, S.K., Leung, R.K.K., Guo, H.X., Wei, J.F., Wang, J.H., Kwong, K.T., Lee S.S., Zhang, C., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2012). Detection and identification of plasma bacterial and viral elements in HIV/AIDS patients in comparison to healthy adults. Clin Microbiol Infect, 18, 1126-1133.
- Chan, T.M., Leung, K.S., Lee, K.H., Wong, M.H., Lau, C.K., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2012). Subtypes of associated Protein-DNA (TF-TFBS) patterns. Nucleic Acids Research, 40, 9392-9403.
- Ng, C.F., Ng, P.K.S., Lui, V.W.Y., Li, J., Chan, J.Y.W., Fung, K.P., Ng, Y.K., Lai, P.B.S., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2011). FHL2 exhibits anti-proliferative and anti-apoptotic activity in liver cancer cells. Cancer Letters, 304, 97-106.
- Leung, K.S., Wong, K.C., Chan, T.M., Wong, M.H., Lee, K.H., Lau, C.K., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2010). Discovering protein-DNA binding sequence patterns using association rule mining. Nucleic Acids Research, 38, 6324-6337.
- Sung, J.J.Y., Tsui, S.K.W., Tse, C.H., Ng, Y.E.T., Leung, K.S., Lee, K.H., Mok, T.S.K., Bartholomeusz, A., Au, T.C.C., Tsoi, K.K.F., Locarnini, S., & Chan, H.L.Y. (2008). Genotype-specific genomic markers associated with primary hepatoma, based on complete genomic sequencing of hepatitis B virus. Journal of Virology, 82, 3604-3611.
- Sabeti, P.C., .... Tsui, S.K.W. et al. [author 65 out of 250] (2007). Genome-wide detection and characterization of positive selection in human populations. Nature, 449, 913-918.
- Frazer, K.A., ....Tsui, S.K.W. et al. [author 77 out of 262] (2007). A second generation human haplotype map of over 3.1 million SNPs. Nature, 449, 851-861.
- The International HapMap Consortium [including Tsui, S.K.W. in the author list] (2005). A haplotype map of the human genome. Nature, 437, 1299-1320.
- Chan, H.L.Y., Tsui, S.K.W., & Sung, J.J.Y. (2003). Coronavirus in severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Trends Mol Med, 9, 323-325.
- Chim, S.S.C.#, Tsui, S.K.W.# et al. [author 2 out of 17] (2003). Genomic characterization of the SARS-coronavirus of the Amoy Gardens outbreak in Hong Kong. Lancet, 362, 1807-1808
- Tsui, S.K.W., Chim, S.S.C., Lo, Y.M.D. and the Chinese University of Hong Kong Molecular SARS Research Group (2003). Coronavirus genomic-sequence variations and the epidemiology of the severe acute respiratory syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine, 349, 187-188.
- Zhang, X.Y., Chen, F., Zhang, Y.T., Agner, S.C., Akay, M., Lu, Z.H., Waye, M.M.Y., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2002). Signal-processing techniques in genomic engineering. P IEEE, 90, 1822-1833.
- Hwang, D.M., Dempsey, A.A., Wang, R.X., Rezvani, M., Barrans, J.D., Dai, K.S., Wang, H.Y., Ma, H., Cukerman, E., Liu, Y.Q., Gu, J.R., Zhang, J.H., Tsui, S.K.W., Waye, M.M.Y., Fung, K.P., Lee, C.Y., & Liew, C.C. (1997). A genome-based resource for molecular cardiovascular medicine - Towards a compendium of cardiovascular genes. Circulation, 96, 4146-4203.
- Liew, C.C., Hwang, D.M., Fung, Y.W., Laurenssen, C., Cukerman, E., Tsui, S.K.W., & Lee, C.Y. (1994). A catalogue of genes in the cardiovascular system as identified by expressed sequence tags (ESTs). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 91, 10645-10649.
# Co-first author
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-20]: "Allergen profile and metabolic characteristics analysis of the storage mite Tyrophagus putrescentiae using single molecule real-time sequencing and bioinformatics tools" (HK$1,010,437).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 24-May-19]: "Elucidation of the Blomia tropicalis genome and transcriptome to identify new allergens for future research in dust mite-related allergic diseases" (HK$1,498,224).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Nov-17 to 31-Oct-19]: "Elucidating the allergen profile and its regulation mechanism in dust mites using single molecule real-time sequencing" (HK$785,393).
- RGC - Theme-based Research Scheme [Co-PI; 01-Jan-17 to 31-Dec-21]: “Understanding cancer stemness in liver cancer - From regulation to translational applications” (HK$38,000,000; HK$765,000 allocated to Stephen Tsui’s team).
- RGC - Theme-based Research Scheme [Co-PI; 01-Nov-15 to 31-Oct-20]: “Molecular basis for interspecies transmission and pathogenesis of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome” (HK$35,620,000; HK$2,080,000 allocated to Stephen Tsui’s team).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-Jul-15 to 28-Feb-18]: "The Anti-apoptotic and anti-proliferative role of FHL2 mediated by p53, IL6 and STAT3" (HK$999,408).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-Jun-15 to 31-Jan-18]: "Identification of alterations in host genome methylation driven by the human immunodeficiency virus type 1" (HK$999,408).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-Mar-14 to 28-Feb-16]: "Elucidation of drug resistance mechanism by whole genome sequencing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis spontaneous mutants" (HK$989,528).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-14 to 31-Dec-15]: "Whole exome sequencing to dissect the genetic factors behind developmental delay and learning difficulties" (HK$988,528).
- RGC - Theme-based Research Scheme [Co-PI; 01-Jan-14 to 31-Dec-18]: "An integrated trans-omics approach to diabetic cardio-renal complications: From novel discoveries to personalized medicine" (HK$47,000,000; HK$2,700,000 allocated to Stephen Tsui’s team).