BSc, DipEd, PhD
Telephone: 3943 6381
524A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. TSUI Kwok-Wing Stephen (徐國榮) is currently a professor in the School of Biomedical Sciences and directors of the Hong Kong Bioinformatics Centre and the Centre for Microbial Genomics and Proteomics in The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). In 1995, he received his Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry at CUHK and his thesis is related to the study of the human genome. He was then appointed as an Assistant Professor in the Biochemistry Department in 1997 and promoted to the full professorship in 2004. He was a former member of the International HapMap Consortium and worked on the single nucleotide polymorphisms of human chromosome 3p. During the SARS outbreak in 2003, his team was one of the earliest teams that cracked the complete genome of the SARS-coronavirus. Totally, he has published more than 230 scientific papers in international journals, including Nature, Nature Machine Intelligence, New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, PNAS, Circulation, Hepatology, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Allergy, Genome Biology and Nucleic Acids Research. He is very interested in bioinformatics, comparative genomics and molecular biology of clinical pathogens including human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis B virus, influenza virus and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Most recently, he cracked the genome, transcriptome and microbiome of several dust mite species, which can be linked to the house dust mite allergy.
- Cancer biology and genomics.
- Dust mite allergy.
- Molecular virology.
- Metagenomics and human health.
- Wang, L., Xiong, Q., Saelim, N., Wang, L., Nong, W., Wan, A.T.Y., Shi, M., Liu, X., Cao, Q., Hui, J.H.L., Sookrung, N., Leung, T.F., Tungtrongchitr, A., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2022). Genome assembly and annotation of Periplaneta americana reveal a comprehensive cockroach allergen profile. Allergy, doi: 10.1111/all.15531.
- Xiong, Q., Wan, A.T.Y., Liu, X., Fung, C.S.H., Xiao, X., Malainual, N., Hou, J., Wang, L., Wang, M., Yang, K.Y., Cui, Y., Leung, E.L.H., Nong, W., Shin, S.K., Au, S.W.N., Jeong, K.Y., Chew, F.T., Hui, J.H.L., Leung, T.F., Tungtrongchitr, A., Zhong, N., Liu, Z., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2022). Comparative genomics reveals insights into the divergent evolution of astigmatic mites and household pest adaptations. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 39, msac097.
- Hong, C., Cao, Q., Zhang, Z., Tsui, S.K.W., & Yip, K.Y.L. (2022). Reusability report: Capturing properties of biological objects and their relationships using graph neural networks. Nature Machine Intelligence 4,222-226.
- Yang, Z., Wan, A.T.Y., Liu, X.Y., Xiong, Q., Liu, Z.G., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2020). Identification, functional annotation and stability analysis of miRNA in Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus. Allergy, 75,1237-1240.
- Lin, J., Huang, N., Li, J., Liu, X., Xiong, Q., Hu, C., Chen, D., Guan, L., Chang, K., Li, D., Tsui, S.K.W., Zhong, N., Liu, Z., & Yang, P.C. (2021). Cross-reactive antibodies against dust mite-derived enolase induce neutrophilic airway inflammation. European Respiratory Journal, 57, 1902375.
- Liu, X.Y., Yang, K.Y., Wang, M., Kwok, J.S.L., Zeng, X., Yang, Z., Xiao, X.J., Lau, C.P.Y., Li, Y., Huang, Z., Ba, J.G., Yim, A.K.Y., Ouyang, C.Y., Ngai, S.M., Chan, T.F., Leung, E.L.H., Liu, L., Liu, Z.G., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2018). High-quality assembly of Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus genome and transcriptome reveals a wide range of novel allergens. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 141, 2268-2271.
- Chan, T.F., Ji, K.M., Yim, A.K.Y., Liu, X.Y., Zhou, J.W., Li, R.Q., Yang, K.Y., Li, J., Li, M., Law, P.T.W., Wu, Y.L., Cai, Z.L., Qin, H., Bao, Y., Leung, R.K.K., Ng, P.K.S., Zou, J., Zhong, X.J., Ran, P.X., Zhong, N.S., Liu, Z.G., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2015). The draft genome, transcriptome and microbiome of Dermatophagoides farinae reveal a broad spectrum of dust mite allergens. Journal of Allergy Clin Immunol, 135, 539-548.
- Lou, S., Lee, H.M., Qin, H., Li, J.W., Gao, Z., Liu, X., Chan, L.L., Lam, V., So, W.Y., Wang, Y., Lok, S., Wang, J., Ma, R., Tsui, S.K.W., Chan, J., Chan, T.F., & Yip, K.Y. (2014). Whole-genome bisulfite sequencing of multiple individuals reveals complementary roles of promoter and gene body methylation in transcriptional regulation. Genome Biology, 15, 408.
- Leung, T.F., Ko, F.W.S., Sy, H.Y., Tsui, S.K.W., & Wong, G.W.K. (2014). Comparsion of asthma genetics between China and other regions of the world. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 133, 42-48.
- Leung, K.K., Zhou, J.W., Guan, W., Li, S.K., Yang, Z.F., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2013). Differences of respiratory microbiota in influenza virus-infected and non-influenza virus-infected pneumonia patients. Clin Microbiol Infect, 19, 930-935.
- Li, S.K., Leung, R.K.K., Guo, H.X., Wei, J.F., Wang, J.H., Kwong, K.T., Lee S.S., Zhang, C., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2012). Detection and identification of plasma bacterial and viral elements in HIV/AIDS patients in comparison to healthy adults. Clin Microbiol Infect, 18, 1126-1133.
- Chan, T.M., Leung, K.S., Lee, K.H., Wong, M.H., Lau, C.K., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2012). Subtypes of associated Protein-DNA (TF-TFBS) patterns. Nucleic Acids Research, 40, 9392-9403.
- Ng, C.F., Ng, P.K.S., Lui, V.W.Y., Li, J., Chan, J.Y.W., Fung, K.P., Ng, Y.K., Lai, P.B.S., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2011). FHL2 exhibits anti-proliferative and anti-apoptotic activity in liver cancer cells. Cancer Letters, 304, 97-106.
- Leung, K.S., Wong, K.C., Chan, T.M., Wong, M.H., Lee, K.H., Lau, C.K., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2010). Discovering protein-DNA binding sequence patterns using association rule mining. Nucleic Acids Research, 38, 6324-6337.
- Chan, H.L.Y., Tsui, S.K.W. & Sung, J.J.Y. (2003). Coronavirus in severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Trends in Molecular Medicine, 9, 323-325.
- Chim, S.S.C.*, Tsui, S.K.W.*, Chan, K.C., Au, T.C., Hung, E.C., Tong, Y.K., Chiu, R.W., Ng, E.K., Chan, P.K., Chu, C.M., Sung, J.J., Tam, J.S., Fung, K.P., Waye, M.M.Y., Lee, C.Y., Yuen, K.Y., Lo, Y.M. & CUHK Molecular SARS Research Group. (2003). Genomic characterization of the SARS-coronavirus of the Amoy Gardens outbreak in Hong Kong. Lancet, 362, 1807-1808 (*co-first authors).
- Tsui, S.K.W., Chim, S.S.C., Lo, Y.M.D. and the Chinese University of Hong Kong Molecular SARS Research Group (2003). Coronavirus genomic-sequence variations and the epidemiology of the severe acute respiratory syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine, 349, 187-188.
- Zhang, X.Y., Chen, F., Zhang, Y.T., Agner, S.C., Akay, M., Lu, Z.H., Waye, M.M.Y., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2002). Signal-processing techniques in genomic engineering. P IEEE, 90, 1822-1833.
- Hwang, D.M., Dempsey, A.A., Wang, R.X., Rezvani, M., Barrans, J.D., Dai, K.S., Wang, H.Y., Ma, H., Cukerman, E., Liu, Y.Q., Gu, J.R., Zhang, J.H., Tsui, S.K.W., Waye, M.M.Y., Fung, K.P., Lee, C.Y., & Liew, C.C. (1997). A genome-based resource for molecular cardiovascular medicine - Towards a compendium of cardiovascular genes. Circulation, 96, 4146-4203.
- Liew, C.C., Hwang, D.M., Fung, Y.W., Laurenssen, C., Cukerman, E., Tsui, S.K.W., & Lee, C.Y. (1994). A catalogue of genes in the cardiovascular system as identified by expressed sequence tags (ESTs). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 91, 10645-10649.
# Co-first author
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-23]: " Analyzing the allergen profile and metabolic characteristics of mud crab using the high throughput DNA sequencing and bioinformatics tools " (HK$1,167,433).
- RGC - Theme-based Research Scheme [Co-PI; 01-Jan-22 to 31-Dec-26]: “Ecology, Molecular Virology and Pathogenesis of SARS-CoV-2: From Bedside to Bench and Back ” (HK$42,278,000).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-21]: " Investigating the allergen profile and metabolic characteristics of Procambarus clarkii using the single molecule real-time sequencing and bioinformatics tools " (HK$1,055,025).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 1-Jun-20]: " Identification of new allergens in Periplaneta americana by omics and immunological techniques for future research in cockroach-related allergic diseases " (HK$1,499,404).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-20]: "Allergen profile and metabolic characteristics analysis of the storage mite Tyrophagus putrescentiae using single molecule real-time sequencing and bioinformatics tools" (HK$1,010,437).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 24-May-19]: "Elucidation of the Blomia Tropicalis Genome and Transcriptome to Identify New Allergens for Future Research in Dust Mite-related Allergic Diseases" (HK$1,498,224).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Nov-17 to 31-Oct-19]: "Elucidating the allergen profile and its regulation mechanism in dust mites using single molecule real-time sequencing" (HK$785,393).
- RGC - Theme-based Research Scheme [Co-PI; 01-Jan-17 to 31-Dec-21]: “Understanding Cancer Stemness in Liver Cancer - From Regulation to Translational Applications” (HK$38,000,000).
- Excellent Research Award from Food and Health Bureau on the project titled “Whole Exome Sequencing to Dissect the Genetic Factors behind Developmental Delay and Learning Disabilities” (12 June 2019).
- Second Class Award of the Guangdong Science and Technology Progress Award from the “Research and Applications of the Mechanism of Dust-mite-associated Allergy (March 2019).