Telephone: 3943 6789
704A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. RUDD John Anthony (陸臻賢) worked with Glaxo Group Research in the late 1980s to explore the potential use of the 5-HT3 receptor antagonist, ondansetron, to antagonize chemotherapy- and drug-induced emesis. He was also part of a team that mapped 5-HT3 receptor distribution in the human and ferret brainstem and first to show increases in of 5-HT in the plasma of patients receiving cisplatin-based chemotherapy. Pioneered the use of the ferret to model chemotherapy-induced acute and delayed emesis (now a gold standard model) and discovered that NK1 tachykinin antagonists could be used to prevent the acute and delayed phases of emesis induced by cisplatin: now NK1 tachykinin antagonists are a cornerstone of treatment for delayed emesis. Recently he collaborated with Helsinn on the development of the second generation 5-HT3 and NK1 receptor antagonists, palonosetron and netupitant, respectively. He has an ongoing interest in broad inhibitory antiemetic drugs and works with several leading pharmaceutical companies to aid drug development. He is serving concurrently as the Director of the Laboratory Animal Services Centre, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Characterizing the pharmacology of drugs to prevent chemotherapy-induced acute and delayed emesis using animal models with proven translational value; connection with the pharmaceutical industry to make discoveries a reality.
- Understanding mechanisms of gastric dysrhythmia following anticancer treatment; interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC); value of prokinetic drugs.
- Understanding mechanisms of cancer cachexia; development of meaningful animal models.
- Role of forebrain to brainstem mechanisms controlling feeding and homeostasis and behaviors indicative of nausea; emetic liability mechanisms.
- Mechanisms of taste and smell alterations during chemotherapy.
- Andrew, P.L.R, Cai, W.G., Rudd, J.A. & Sanger, G.J. (2020). COVID‐19, nausea, and vomiting. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, doi: 10.1111/jgh.15261
- Lu, Z.B., Zhou, Y., Tu, L.L., Chan S.W., Ngan, M.P., Cui, D.X., Liu, Y.H., Huang, B.S., Kung, S.C., Hui C.M. & Rudd, J.A. (2020) Sulprostone-induced Gastric Dysrhythmia in the Ferret: Conventional and Advanced Analytical Approaches. Front. Physiol., doi: 10.3389/fphys.2020.583082
- Lu, Z.B., Chan, S.W., Tu, L.L., Ngan, M.P. & Rudd, J.A. (2020). GLP-1 receptors are involved in the GLP-1 (7-36) amide-induced modulation of glucose homoeostasis, emesis and feeding in Suncus murinus (house musk shrew). European Journal of Pharmacology, 888, 173528.
- Liu, Y.H., Du, P. & Rudd, J.A. (2020). Acetylcholine Exerts Inhibitory and Excitatory Actions on Mouse Ileal Pacemaker Activity: The Role of Muscarinic versus Nicotinic Receptors. American journal of physiology. Gastrointestinal and liver physiology, 319(1), G97-G107.
- Liu, Y.H., Sun, Y.Y., Sommerville, N., Ngan, M.P., Ponomarev, E.D., Lin, G. & Rudd, J.A. (2020). Soy flavonoids prevent cognitive deficits induced by intra-gastrointestinal administration of beta-amyloid. Food and chemical toxicology : an international journal published for the British Industrial Biological Research Association, 141 111396.
- Peng, D, Liu, Y.H., Sukasem, A., Qian, A., Calder, S. & Rudd, J.A. (2020). Recent progress in electrophysiology and motility mapping of the gastrointestinal tract using multi-channel devices, Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand, 50(2) 316-330.
- Tu, L.L., Lu, Z.B., Ngan, M.P., Lam, F.Y., Giuliano, C., Lovati, E., Pietra, C &, Rudd, J.A. (2020). The brain-penetrating, orally bioavailable, ghrelin receptor agonist HM01 ameliorates motion-induced emesis in Suncus murinus (house musk shrew), British Journal of Pharmacology, 177(7), 1635-1650.
- Sun, Y.Y., Sommerville, N.R., Liu, Y.H., Ngan, M.P., Poon, D., Ponomarev, E.D., Lu, Z.B., Kung, J.S. & Rudd, J.A. (2020). Intra-gastrointestinal amyloid-beta 1-42 oligomers perturb enteric function and induce Alzheimer's disease pathology, Journal of Physiology-london, 598(19), 4209-4223.
- Suen, H.C., Qian, Y., Liao, J.Y., Luk, C.S., Lee, W.T, Ng, K.W., Chan, T.H., Lou, H.W., Li I., Li, K., Chan, W.Y.C, Feng, B., Gao L., Jiang, X.H., Liu, Y.H., Rudd, J.A., Hobbs, R., Qi, H.Y., Ng, T.K., Mak K., Leung, K.S. & Lee T.P. (2019). Transplantation of Retinal Ganglion Cells Derived from Male Germline Stem Cell as a Potential Treatment to Glaucoma. Stem Cells and Development, 28(20), 1365-1375.
- Liu, Y.H. Du, P., Chan, W.Y. & Rudd, J.A. (2019). Use of a microelectrode array to record extracellular pacemaker potentials from the gastrointestinal tracts of the ICR mouse and house musk shrew (Suncus murinus). Cell Calcium, 80, 175-188.
- Liu, Y.H., Lin, G., Fang, M.R. & Rudd, J.A. (2019). Localization of estrogen receptor ERα, ERβ and GPR30 on myenteric neurons of the gastrointestinal tract and their role in motility. General and Comparative Endocrinology, 272, 63-75.
- Dukhinova, M., Kuznetsova, I, Kopeykina, E., Veniaminova, E., Yung, W.Y., Veremeyko, T., Levchuk, K., Barteneva, N.S., Ho, K.W., Yung, W.H., Liu, Y.H., Rudd, J.A., Yau, S.Y., Anthony, D.C., Strekalova T., Ponomarev, E.D. (2018) Platelets mediate protective neuroinflammation and promote neuronal plasticity at the site of neuronal injury. Brain, Behavior and Immunity, 74, 7-27.
- Rudd, J.A., Chan, S.W., Ngan, M.P., Tu L.L., Lu Z.B. Giuliano C., Lovati, E., Pietra, C. (2018) Anti-emetic Action of the Brain-Penetrating New Ghrelin Agonist, HM01, Alone and in Combination With the 5-HT3 Antagonist, Palonosetron and With the NK1 Antagonist, Netupitant, Against Cisplatin- and Motion-Induced Emesis in Suncus murinus (House Musk Shrew). Frontier in Pharmacology, 9, 869.
- Wang, H.C., Lu Z.B., Liu Y.H., Sun, Y.Y. Tu, L.L., Ngan M.P., Yeung C.K. & Rudd, J.A. (2018). Establishment of a radiotelemetric recording technique in mice to investigate gastric slow waves: Modulatory role of putative neurotransmitter systems. Experimental Physiology, 103(6) 827-837.
- Lu, Z., Ngan, M. P., Lin, G., Yew, D. T. W., Fan, X., Andrews, P. L. R., & Rudd, J. A. (2017). Gastric myoelectric activity during cisplatin-induced acute and delayed emesis reveals a temporal impairment of slow waves in ferrets: effects not reversed by the GLP-1 receptor antagonist, exendin (9-39). Oncotarget, In Press.
- Tu, L., Lu, Z., Dieser, K., Schmitt, C., Chan, S. W., Ngan, M.P., Andrews, P.L.R., Nalivaiko, E., & Rudd J.A. (2017). Brain activation by H1 antihistamines challenges conventional view of their mechanism of action in motion sickness: a behavioral, c-fos and physiological study in Suncus murinus (House Musk Shrew). Frontier in Physiology, 8, 412.
- Lu, Z., Yeung, C.K., Lin G., Yew, D.T.W., Andrews, P.L.R., & Rudd, J.A. (2017). Insight into the central pathways involved in the emetic and behavioural responses to exendin-4 in the ferret. Autonomic Neurosciences, 202, 122-135.
- Ullah, I., Subhan, F., Lu, Z., Chan, S.W., & Rudd, J.A. (2017). Action of Bacopa monnieri to antagonize cisplatin-induced emesis in Suncus murinus (house musk shrew). Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, 133, 232-239.
- Kan, K.K.W., Wai, M.K. Jones, R.L., & Rudd, J.A. (2017). Role of prostanoid EP3/1 receptors in mechanisms of emesis and defaecation in ferrets. European Journal of Pharmacolgoy, 803, 112-117.
- Tu, L., Poppi, L., Rudd, J.A., Cresswell, E.T., Smith, D.W., Brichta, A., & Nalivaiko, E. (2017). Alpha-9 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors mediate hypothermic responses elicited by provocative motion in mice. Physiology and Behaviour, 174, 114-119.
- Rudd, J.A., Ngan, M.P., Lu, Z., Higgins, G., Giuliano, C., Lovati, E., & Pietra, C. (2016). Profile of antiemetic activity of netupitant alone or in combination with palonosetron and dexamethasone in ferrets and Suncus murinus (house musk shrew). Frontiers in Pharmacology, 7, 263.
- Guimaraes, D.D., Andrews, P.L.R., Rudd, J.A., Braga, V.A., & Nalivaiko, E. (2016). Ondansetron and promethazine have differential effects on hypothermic responses to lithium chloride administration and to provocative motion in rats. Temperature, 2, 543-553.
- Rudd, J.A., Nalivaiko E., Matsuki, N., Wan C., & Andrews, P.L.R. (2015). The involvement of TRPV1 in emesis and anti-emesis. Temperature, 2, 258-276.
- Andrew, P.L.R., & Rudd, J.A. (2015). The physiology and pharmacology of nausea and vomiting induced by anti-cancer chemotheraphy in humans. In: Management of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: new agents and new uses of current agents, R. Navari, Editor. Springer Health Care Publishers: London, England.
- Sin, T.K., Tam, B.T., Yung, B.Y., Yip, S.P., Chan, L.W., Wong, C.S., Ying, M., Rudd, J.A., & Siu, P.M. (2015). Resveratrol protects against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in aged hearts through the SIRT1-USP7 axis. Journal of Physiology, 593, 1887-1899.
- Lu, Z., Percie du Sert, N., Chan, S.W., Yeung, C.K., Lin, G., Yew, D.T.W., Andrews, P.L.R., & Rudd, J.A. (2015). Differential hypoglycaemic, anorectic, autonomic and emetic effects of the glucagon-like peptide receptor agonist, exendin-4, in the conscious telemetered ferret. Journal of Translational Medicine, 12, 1-13.
- Nalivaiko, E., Rudd, J. A., & So, R. (2014). Motion sickness, nausea and thermoregulation: the "toxic" hypothesis. Temperature, 1, 164-171.
- Ullah, I., Subhan, F., Rudd, J.A., Rauf, K., Alam, J., Shahid, M., & Sewll, R.D.E. (2014). Attenuation of cisplatin-induced emetogenesis by standardized Bacopa monnieri extracts in the pigeon: behavioral and neurochemical correlations. Planta Medica, 80, 1569-1579.
- Ngampramuan, S., Cerri, M., Vecchio, F.D., Corrigan, J.J., Kamphee, A., Dragic, A.S., Rudd, J.A., Romanovsky, A.A., & Nalivaiko, E. (2014). Thermoregulatory correlates of nausea in rats and musk shrews. Oncotarget, 5, 1565-1575.
- Johnston, K.D., Lu, Z., & Rudd, J.A. (2014). Looking beyond 5-HT3 receptors: a review of the wider role of serotonin in the pharmacology of nausea and vomiting. European Journal of Pharmacology, 722, 13-25.
- Chan, S.W., Lu, Z., Lin, G., Yew, D.T.W., Yeung, C.K., & Rudd, J.A. (2014). The differential antiemetic properties of GLP-1 receptor antagonist, exendin (9-39) in Suncus murinus (house musk shrew). Neuropharmacology, 83, 71-78.
- Chan, S.W., Lin, G., Yew, D.T.W., Yeung, C.K., & Rudd, J.A. (2013). Separation of emetic and anorexic responses of exendin-4, a GLP-1 receptor agonist in Suncus murinus (house musk shrew). Neuropharmacology, 70, 141-147.
- Chan, S. W., Lin, Ge., Yew, D. T. W., & Rudd, J. A. (2011). A physiological role of glucagon-like peptide-1 receptors in the central nervous system of Suncus murinus (house musk shrew). European Journal of Pharmacology, 668, 340-346.
- Law, J.K., Yeung, C.K., Wan, S.P., Ingebrandt, S., Lau, H.Y., Rudd, J.A., & Chan, M. (2011). The significance of chloride in the inhibitory action of disodium cromoglycate on immunologically-stimulated rat peritoneal mast cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1810, 867-874.
- Percie du Sert, N., Rudd, J.A., Apfel, C.C., & Andrews, P.L.R. (2011). Systematic review and meta-analysis of the efficacy of 5-HT3 receptor antagonists in the ferret model of cisplatin-induced emesis. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, 67, 667-686.
- Percie du Sert, N., Ho, W.S.V., Rudd, J.A., & Andrews, P.L.R. (2010). Cannabinoid-induced reduction in antral pacemaker frequency: a telemetric study in the ferret. Neurogastroenterology and Motility, 22, 1257-e324.
- Percie du Sert, N., Chu, K. M., Wai, M.K., Rudd, J.A., & Andrews, P.L.R. (2010). Telemetry in a motion-sickness model implicates the abdominal vagus in motion-induced gastric dysrhythmia. Experimental Physiology, 95(7), 768-773.
- Chu, K.M., Ngan, M.P., Wai, M.K., Yeung, C.K., Andrews, P.L.R., Percie du Sert, N., Lin, G., & Rudd, J.A. (2010). Olvanil, a non-pungent vanilloid enhances the gastrointestinal toxicity of cisplatin in the ferret. Toxicology Letters, 192, 402-407.
- Chu, K.M., Yeung, C.K., Ngan, M.P., Wai, M.K., Andrews, P.L.R., Percie du Sert, N., & Rudd, J.A. (2010). Olvanil: a non-pungent TRPV1 activator has anti-emetic properties in the ferret. Neuropharmacology, 58, 383-391.
- Percie du Sert, N., Chu, K.M., Wai, M.K., Rudd, J.A., & Andrews, P.L.R. (2009). Reduced normogastric electrical activity associated with emesis: a telemetric study in ferrets. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 15, 6034-6043.
- Percie du Sert, N., Rudd, J.A., Moss, R., & Andrews, P.L.R. (2009). The delayed phase of cisplatin-induced emesis is mediated by the area postrema and not the abdominal visceral innervation in the ferret. Neuroscience Letters, 465, 16-20.
- Kan, K.K.W., Ngan, M.P., Wai, M.K., & Rudd, J.A. (2008). Mechanism of the prostanoid TP receptor agonist U46619 for inducing emesis in the ferret. Naunyn Schmiedeberg's Archieves of Pharmacology, 378, 655-661.
- Sam, T.S.W., Ngan, M.P., Riendeau, D., Robichaud, A., & Rudd, J.A. (2007). Action of cyclooxygenase inhibitors and a leukotriene biosynthesis inhibitor on cisplatin-induced acute and delayed emesis in the ferret. Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, 103, 189-200.
- Yamamoto, K., Chan, S.W., Rudd, J.A., Lin G., Asano, K., & Yamatodani, A. (2009). Involvement of hypothalamic glutamate in cisplatin-induced emesis in Suncus murinus (hourse musk shrew). Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, 109, 631-634.
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-19]: "Action of Ghrelin to Prevent Chemotherapy-Induced Side Effects in Suncus murinus" (HK$864,742).
- XW Laboratories, Inc. [PI; 06-Sep-18]: "Investigation of a Novel Compound to Inhibit Emesis" (HK$532,109).
- Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. [PI; 25-Apr-18 to 24-May-21]: "Anti-emetic Action of Drugs Acting at the Area Postrema to Inhibit Emesis" (HK$17,932,427).
- Helsinn Heathcare SA [PI; 09-Aug-17]: "Emesis Research Group" (HK$350,000).
- NeuroDetective International Inc. [PI; 22-Dec-14 to 21-Feb-15]: "Investigation of a Novel Compound to Anatgonize Motion-Induced Emesis in Suncus murinus (House Musk Shrew)" (HK$121,438).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-21]: "Contribution of Disrupted Gastrointestinal Myoelectric Activity to Mechanisms of Cisplatin-Induced Acute and Delayed Nausea and Emesis" (HK$996,285).