519A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. CHAN Leung Franky (陳良) obtained his Ph.D. degree from The University of Hong Kong in 1989 and received his postdoctoral training in McGill University (Montreal, Canada) thereafter. He joined The Chinese University of Hong Kong as a lecturer in the Department of Anatomy in 1992 and is presently a full professor at the School of Biomedical Sciences. Prof. Chan has published more than 120 original research papers, including Cancer Research, Oncogene, Journal of Pathology, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, Endocrinology and PNAS. Chan’s primary research focus is on the hormonal carcinogenesis of prostate cancer. His current research topics include: (1) orphan nuclear receptors-mediated signaling pathways, (2) cancer stem cells in prostate cancer, (3) epithelial mesenchymal transition in metastasis, (4) molecular targeted therapy and immunotherapy of prostate cancer, and (5) signaling pathways involved in castration-resistant and neuroendocrine prostate cancer.
- Hormonal carcinogenesis and cancer biology of prostate gland.
- Orphan nuclear receptors-mediated signaling pathways in prostate gland development and prostate cancer.
- Tumor microenvironment, epithelial-mesenchymal-transition and hypoxia in prostate cancer.
- Molecular targeted therapy and immunotherapy of prostate cancer.
- Cancer stem cells in prostate cancer.
- Gao, W., Wu, D., Wang, Y., Wang, Z., Zou, C., Dai, Y., Ng, C.F., Teoh, J.Y.C. & Chan, F.L. (2018). Development of a novel and economical agar-based non-adherent three-dimensional culture method for enrichment of cancer stem-like cells. Stem Cell Research & Therapy, 9: 243.
- Xu, Z., Wang, Y., Xiao, Z.G., Zou, C., Zhang, X., Wang, Z., Wu, D., Yu, S. & Chan, F.L. (2018). Nuclear receptor ERR and transcription factor ERG form a reciprocal loop in the regulation of TMPRSS2:ERG fusion gene in prostate cancer. Oncogene, 37(48): 6259-6274.
- Jia, L., Wu, D., Wang, Y., You, W., Wang, Z., Xiao, L., Cai, G., Xu, Z., Zou, C., Wang, F., Teoh, J.Y.C., Ng, C.F., Yu, S. & Chan, F.L. (2018). Orphan nuclear receptor TLX contributes to androgen insensitivity in castration-resistant prostate cancer via its repression of androgen receptor transcription. Oncogene, 37(25): 334-3355.
- Xiao, L., Wang, Y., Xu, K., Hu, H., Xu, Z., Wu, D., Wang, Z., You, W., Ng, C.F., Yu, S. & Chan, F.L. (2018). Nuclear receptor LRH-1 functions to promote castration-resistant growth of prostate cancer via its promotion of intratumoral androgen biosynthesis. Cancer Research, 78(9): 2205-2218.
- Wang, Z., Wu, D., Ng, C.F., Teoh, J.Y.C., Yu, S., Wang, Y. & Chan, F.L. (2018). Nuclear receptor profiling in prostatospheroids and castration-resistant prostate cancer. Endocrine-Related Cancer, 25(1): 35-50.
- Cai, G., Wu, D., Wang, Z., Xu, Z., Wong, K.B., Ng, C.F., Chan, F.L. & Yu, S. (2017). Collapsin response mediator protein-1 (CRMP1) acts as an invasion and metastasis suppressor of prostate cancer via its suppression of epithelial-mesenchymal transition and remodeling of actin cytoskeleton organization. Oncogene, 36(4): 546-558.
- Wu, D., Cheung, A., Wang, Y., Yu, S. & Chan, F.L. (2016). The emerging roles of orphan nuclear receptors in prostate cancer. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta Reviews on Cancer, 1866(1): 23-36.
- Wu, D., Yu, S., Jia, L., Zou, C., Xu, Z., Xiao, L., Wong, K.B., Ng, C.F. & Chan, F.L. (2015). Orphan nuclear receptor TLX functions as a potent suppressor of oncogene-induced senescence in prostate cancer via its transcriptional co-regulation of CDKN1A (p21WAF1/CIP1) and SIRT1 genes. The Journal of Pathology, 236(1): 103-115.
- Sailland, J., Tribollet, V., Forcet, C., Billon, C., Barenton, B., Carnesecchi, J., Gauthier, K.C., Yu, S., Giguère, V., Chan, F.L. & Vanacker, J.M. (2014). Estrogen-related receptor α decreases RHOA stability to induce oriented cell migration. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111(42): 15108-15113.
- Yu, S., Xu, Z., Zou, C., Wu, D., Wang, Y., Yao, X., Ng, C.F. & Chan, F.L. (2014). Ion channel TRPM8 promotes hypoxic growth of prostate cancer cells via an O2-independent and RACK1-mediated mechanism of HIF-1α stabilization. The Journal of Pathology, 234(4): 514-525.
- Zou, C., Yu, S., Xu, Z., Wu, D., Ng, C.F., Yao, X., Yew, D.T., Vanacker, J.M. & Chan, F.L. (2014). ERRα augments HIF-1 signaling by directly interacting with HIF-1α in normoxic and hypoxic prostate cancer cells. The Journal of Pathology, 233(1): 61-73.
- Yu, S., Lin, Jia L., Zhang, Y., Wu, D., Xu, Z., Ng, C.F., To, K.K., Huang, Y. & Chan, F.L. (2013). Increased expression of activated endothelial nitric oxide synthase contributes to antiandrogen resistance in prostate cancer cells by suppressing androgen receptor transactivation. Cancer Letters, 328(1): 83-94.
- Ma, X., Cai, Y., He, D., Zou, C., Zhang, P., Lo, C.Y., Xu, Z., Chan, F.L., Yu, S., Chen, Y., Zhu, R., Lei, J., Jin, J. & Yao, X. (2012). Transient receptor potential channel TRPC5 is essential for p-glycoprotein induction in drug-resistant cancer cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 109(40): 16282-16287.
- Luk, S.U., Lee, T.K., Liu, J., Lee, D.T., Chiu, Y.T., Ma, S., Ng, I.O., Wong, Y.C., Chan, F.L. & Ling, M.T. (2011). Chemoprevention effect of PSP through targeting of prostate cancer stem cell-like population. PLoS One, 6(5): e19804.
- Yu, S., Zhang, Y., Yuen, M.T., Zou, C., Danielpour, D. & Chan, F.L. (2011). 17-Beta-estradiol induces neoplastic transformation in prostatic epithelial cells. Cancer Letters, 304(1): 8-20.
- Yu, S., Wang, M.W., Yao, X. & Chan, F.L. (2009). Establishment of a novel immortalized human prostatic epithelial cell line stably expressing androgen receptor and its application for the functional screening of androgen receptor modulators. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 382(4): 756-761.
- Chu, J.H., Yu, S., Hayward, S.W. & Chan, F.L. (2009). Development of a three-dimensional culture model of prostatic epithelial cells and its use for the study of epithelial-mesenchymal transition and inhibition of PI3K pathway in prostate cancer. Prostate, 69(4): 428-442.
- Yu, S., Wong, Y.C., Wang, X., Ling, M.T., Ng, C.F., Chen, S. & Chan, F.L. (2008). Orphan nuclear receptor estrogen-related receptor-β suppresses in vitro and in vivo growth of prostate cancer cells via p21WAF1/CIP1 induction and as a potential therapeutic target in prostate cancer. Oncogene, 27(23): 3313-3328.
- Yu, S., Wang, X., Ng, C.F., Chen, S. & Chan, F.L. (2007). ERRγ suppresses cell proliferation and tumor growth of androgen-sensitive and -insensitive prostate cancer cells and its implication as a therapeutic target for prostate cancer. Cancer Research, 67(10): 4904-4914.
- Lui, K., Huang, Y., Choi, H.L., Yu, S., Wong, K.B., Chen, S. & Chan, F.L. (2006). Molecular cloning and functional study of rat estrogen receptor-related receptor γ in rat prostatic cells. Prostate, 66(15), 1600-1619.
- Yuen, M.T., Leung, L.K., Wang, J., Wong, Y.C., & Chan, F.L. (2005). Enhanced induction of prostatic dysplasia and carcinoma in Noble rat model by combination of neonatal estrogen exposure and hormonal treatments at adulthood. International Journal of Oncology, 27(6): 1685-1695.
- Chua, C.W., Lee, D.T., Ling, M.T., Zhou, C., Man, K., Ho, J., Chan, F.L., Wang, X. & Wong, Y.C. (2005). FTY720, a fungus metabolite, inhibits in vivo growth of androgen-independent prostate cancer. International Journal of Cancer, 117: 1039-1048.
- Kwok, W.K., Ling M.T., Lee, T.W., Lau, T.C., Zhou, C., Zhang, X., Chua C.W., Chan, K.W., Chan, F.L., Glackin, C., Wong, Y.C. & Wang, X. (2005). Up-regulation of TWIST in prostate cancer and its implication as a therapeutic target. Cancer Research, 65(12): 5153-5162.
- Cheung, C.P., Yu, S., Wong K.B., Chan, L.W., Lai, F.M., Wang, X., Suetsugi, M., Chen, S. & Chan, F.L. (2005). Expression and functional study of estrogen receptor-related receptors in human prostatic cells and tissues. The Journal of Clincial Endocrinology and Metabolism, 90(3): 1830-1844.
- Duan, W., Gabril, M.Y., Moussa, M., Chan, F.L., Sakai, H., Fong, G. & Xuan, J.W. (2005). Knockin of SV40 Tag oncogene in a mouse adencarcinoma of the prostate model demonstrates advantageous features over the transgenic model. Oncogene, 24(9): 1510-1524.
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 08-May-19]: "Establishment and Characterization of Nuclear Receptor NURR1 as a Potential Therapeutic Target for Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer" (HK$1,497,300).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-19]: "Elucidating the roles of nuclear receptor TLX in regulation of cancer stem cells and metastasis in prostate cancer" (HK$971,990).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-18 to 31-Dec-20]: "Elucidating the role of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) in prostate cancer" (HK$1,018,301).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-17 to 31-Dec-19]: "Elucidating the Role of Estrogen-related Receptor Alpha in Growth Regulation of Prostate Cancer Stem Cells" (HK$1,000,103).
- Innovation & Technology Commission-Innovation and Technology Support Programme [PI; 01-Oct-16 to 30-Sep-18]: "Establishment of a T-cell Therapeutic Platform Targeting Prostate Cancer Stem Cells" (HK$983,468).
- Shenzhen Noah Ark Biotech Co. Ltd. [PI; 01-Oct-16 to 30-Sep-18]: "Establishment of a T-cell Therapeutic Platform Targeting Prostate Cancer Stem Cells" (HK$110,000).
- Health and Medical Research Fund [PI; 01-Apr-15 to 31-Mar-17]: "A Functional Study of Nuclear Receptor LRH-1 and its Targeting in Prostate Cancer" (HK$999,040).
- RGC - General Research Fund [PI; 01-Jan-15 to 30-Jun-18]: "Elucidating the Role of Estrogen-related Receptor Alpha in Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer" (HK$889,354).