305A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
- My main research interests are in the etiology, pathology and novel treatments of common neurodegenerative diseases and brain damage. Human samples as well as different experimental and transgenic animal models, including rodents and Drosophila, are employed. A variety of experimental techniques such as manipulation of gene expression via viral infection, in vitro and in vivo electrophysiology, behavioral analysis and in vivo brain imaging are used. Current main projects include:
- (i) Role of brain iron dysregulation, and other pathological mechanisms, in the etiology of neurodegenerative diseases especially Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease; (ii) Search for novel treatment strategies for neurodegenerative diseases.
- (iii) Mechanisms of hypoxic/ischemia preconditioning in the protection of ischemic brain, especially the critical role of neuron-glia interaction; (iv) Factors contributing to functional recovery after ischemic injury.
- Huang XT, Qian ZM, He X, Gong Qi, Wu KC, Jiang LR, Lu LN, Zhu ZJ, Zhang HY, Yung WH, Ke Y(2014) Reducing iron in the brain: a novel pharmacological mechanism of Huperzine A in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiology of Aging (in press)
- Li Q, Ke Y*, Chan DCW, Qian ZM, Yung KKL, Ko H, Arbuthnott GW, Yung WH* (2012)Therapeutic deep brain stimulation in parkinsonian rats directly influences motor cortex. Neuron 76:1030-1041 (Highlighted in 'Nature Reviews Neuroscience' and 'Nature China')[*Corresponding Authors].
- Yang L, Fan M, Du F, Gong Q, Bi ZG, Zhu ZJ, Zhu LL, Ke Y (2012) Hypoxic preconditioning increases iron transport rate in astrocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta Molecular Basis of Disease 1822(4):500-8.
- Du F, Qian Q, Qian ZM, Wu XM, Xie H, Yung WH, Ke Y (2011) Hepcidin directly inhibits transferrin receptor 1 expression in astrocytes via a cyclic AMP-protein kinase a pathway. GLIA 59(6):936-45.
- Wu XM, Qian ZM, Zhu L, Du F, Yung WH, Gong Q, Ke Y (2011) Neuroprotective effect of ligustilide against ischemia-reperfusion injury via up-regulation of erythropoietin and down-regulation of RTP801. British Journal of Pharmacology 164(2):332-43.
- Du F, Zhu L, Qian ZM, Wu XM, Yung WH, Ke Y (2010) Hyperthermic preconditioning protects astrocytes from ischemia/reperfusion injury by up-regulation of HIF-alpha expression and binding activity. Biochim Biophys Acta Molecular Basis of Disease 1802:1048-1053.
- Zhao L, Qian ZM, Zhang C, Yung WH, Du F, Ke Y (2008) Amyloid beta-peptide 31-35-induced neuronal apoptosis is mediated by caspase-dependent pathways via cAMP-dependent protein kinase A activation. Aging Cell 7(1):47-57.
- Wang Q, Du F, Qian ZM, Ge XH, Zhu L, Yung WH, Yang L, Ke Y (2008) Lipopolysaccharide induces a significant increase in expression of iron regulatory hormone hepcidin in the cortex and substantia nigra in rat brain. Endocrinology 149(8):3920-3925
- Ke Y, Qian ZM (2007) Brain iron metabolism: neurobiology and neurochemistry. Progress in Neurobiology 83(3):149-173.
- Ke Y, Qian ZM (2003) Iron misregulation in the brain: a primary cause of neurodegenerative disorders. The Lancet Neurology 2(4):246-253.