B.Sc. (University of Glasgow), D.Phil. (University of Oxford)
308A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
- Development of drugs for prevention and treatment of metabesity (obesity, type 2 diabetes and related metabolic disorders) and neurodegenerative diseases
- Mechanisms underlying fetal programming of obesity, diabetes, hypertension and neurologic disorders
- In utero therapeutic interventions to combat against the adverse effects of maternal diabetes and obesity on embryo development
- Mechanisms underlying abnormal development of the central nervous system
- Lee, L.M.Y., Leung, M.B.W., Kwok, R.C.Y., Leung, Y.C., Wang, C.C., McCaffery, P.J., Copp, A.J. & Shum, A.S.W. (2017). Perturbation of retinoid homeostasis increases malformation risk in embryos exposed to pregestational diabetes. Diabetes 66: 1041-1051.
- Lee, L.M.Y., Leung, C.Y., Tang, W.W.C., Choi, H.L., Leung, Y.C., McCaffery, P.J., Wang, C.C., Woolf, A.S. & Shum, A.S.W. (2012). A paradoxical teratogenic mechanism for retinoic acid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 109, 13668-13673.
- Shum, A.S.W., Tang, L.S.C., Copp, A.J. & Roelink, H. (2010). Lack of motor neuron differentiation is an intrinsic property of the mouse secondary neural tube. Developmental Dynamics, 239, 3192-3203.
- Tse, H.K.W., Leung, M.B.W., Woolf, A.S., Menke, A.L., Hastie, N.D., Gosling, J.A., Pang, C.P. & Shum, A.S.W.(2005). Implication of Wt1 in the pathogenesis of nephrogenic failure in a mouse model of retinoic acid-induced caudal regression syndrome. American Journal of Pathology, 166, 1295-1307.
- Leung, M.B.W., Choy, K.W., Copp, A.J., Pang, C.P., & Shum, A.S.W. (2004). Hyperglycemia potentiates the teratogenicity of retinoic acid in maternal diabetes. Diabetologia, 47, 515-522.
- Chan, B.W.H., Chan, K.S., Koide, T., Yeung, S.M., Leung, M.B.W., Copp, A.J., Loeken, M.R., Shiroishi, T., & Shum, A.S.W. (2002). Maternal diabetes increases the risk of caudal regression caused by retinoic acid. Diabetes, 51, 2811-2816.
- Shum, A.S.W., Poon, L.L.M., Tang, W.W.T., Koide, T., Chan, B.W.H., Leung, Y.C., Shiroishi, T., & Copp, A.J. (1999). Retinoic acid induces down-regulation of Wnt-3a, apoptosis and diversion of tail bud cells to a neural fate in the mouse embryo. Mechanisms of Development, 84, 17-30.
- Shum A.S.W., & Copp, A.J. (1996). Regional differences in morphogenesis of the neuroepithelium suggest multiple mechanisms of spinal neurulation in the mouse. Anatomy and Embryology, 194, 65-73.
- Sasaki, H., Ferguson-Smith, A.C., Shum, A.S.W., Barton, S.C. & Azim Surani, M. (1995). Temporal and spatial regulation of H19 imprinting in normal and uniparental mouse embryos. Development 121, 4195-4202.
- Brook, F.A., Shum, A.S.W., Van Straaten, H.W.M., & Copp, A.J. (1991). Curvature of the caudal region is responsible for failure of neural tube closure in the curly tail (ct) mouse embryo. Development, 113, 671-678.