B.Sc., M.Phil. (CUHK), D.Phil. (Oxon)
304A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
- One of the most fascinating and important properties of the brain is its remarkable plasticity, which underlies experience-dependent modification of all nervous system functions including development, learning, memory, sensory perception, motor functions and others. Neuroplasticity also participates in the pathophysiology and functional adaptation in brain trauma. My research aims at understanding the nature of neuroplasticity and its involvement in both health and disease conditions.
- Current projects include the cortical mechanisms of motor learning, synaptic plastic changes underlying motor and non-motor impairments in Parkinsonism, neural mechanism of therapeutic deep brain stimulation and the origin of neurocognitive deficits in obstructive sleep apnea.
- A multidisciplinary approach is employed to address the research questions, including in vitro and in vivo electrophysiology, optogenetics, behavioral analysis and in vivo deep brain imaging.
- LH Xu, H Xie, ZH Shi, LD Du, YK Wing, AM Li, Y Ke and WH Yung (2015) Critical role of endoplasmic reticulum stress in chronic intermittent hypoxia-induced deficits in synaptic plasticity and long-term memory. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling (in press)
- Y Huang, K Yoon, H Ko, S Jiao, W Ito, JY Wu, WH Yung, B Lu and A Morozov (2015) Role of 5-HT3a receptors in hippocampal gamma oscillations: implications for the cognitive dysfunction in psychiatric disorders. Cerebral Cortex pil: bhu209
- Q Li, ZM Qian, GW Arbuthnott, Y Ke and WH Yung (2014) Cortical effects of deep brain stimulation: implications for pathogenesis and treatment of Parkinson disease. JAMA Neurology 71: 100-103(Editorial Highlight)
- S Li, Q He, H Wang, X Tang, KW Ho, X Gao, Q Zhang, Y Shen, A Cheung, F Wong, YH Wong, NY Ip, L Jiang, WH Yung and K Liu (2014) Injured adult retinal axons with Pten and Socs3 co-deletion reform active synapses with suprachiasmatic neurons. Neurobiology of Disease 73XC: 366-376
- WQ Fang, WW Chen, L Jiang, K Liu, WH Yung, AK Fu and NY Ip (2014) Overproduction of upper-layer neurons in the neocortex leads to autism-like features in mice. Cell Report 9: 1635-1643
- XT Huang, ZM Qian, X He, Q Gong, KC Wu, LR Jiang, LN Lu, ZJ Zhu, HY Zhang, WH Yung and Y Ke (2014) Reducing iron in the brain: a novel pharmacologic mechanism of huperzine A in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiology of Aging 35(5): 1045-1054
- Y Huang, JJ Wang and WH Yung (2013) Coupling between GABA-A receptor and chloride transporter underlies ionic plasticity in cerebellar Purkinje neurons. The Cerebellum 12: 328-330
- Qian Li, Ya Ke, Danny CW Chan, Zhong Ming Qian, Ken KL Yung, Ho Ko, Gordon Arbuthnott andWH Yung (2012) Therapeutic deep brain stimulation in parkinsonian rats directly influences motor cortex. Neuron 76:1030-1041 (Highlighted in 'Nature Reviews Neuroscience' and 'Nature China')
- Y Huang, H Ko, ZH Cheung, KKL Yung, T Yao, JJ Wang, A Morozov, Y Ke, NY Ip and WH Yung(2012) Dual actions of brain-derived neurotrophic factor on GABAergic transmission in cerebellar Purkinje neurons. Experimental Neurology 233:791-798.
- JPK Ip, L Shi, Y Chen, Y Itoh, WY Fu, WH Yung, Y Gotoh, AKY Fu and NY Ip (2012) alpha2-chimaerin-mediated neuronal migration regulates cerebral cortical lamination and seizure susceptibility. Nature Neuroscience 15: 39-47
- H Xie, KL Leung, L Chen, YS Chan, PC Ng, TF Fok, YK Wing, Y Ke, AM Li and WH Yung (2010) Brain-derived neurotrophic factor rescues and prevents chronic intermittent hypoxia-induced impairment of hippocampal long-term synaptic plasticity. Neurobiology of Disease 40:155-162.
- JYS Chu, LTO Lee, CH Lai, H Vaudry, YS Chan, WH Yung and BKC Chow (2009) Secretin as a neurohypophysial factor regulating body water homeostasis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 106:15961-15966.
- L Chen, KKL Yung, YS Chan and WH Yung (2008) 5-hydroxytryptamine excites globus pallidus neurons by multiple receptor mechanisms. Neuroscience 151:439-451.
- L Zhao, ZM Qian, C Zhang, WH Yung, F Du and Y Ke (2008) Amyloid beta-peptide 31-35-induced neuronal apoptosis is mediated by caspase-dependent pathways via cAMP-dependent protein kinase A activation. Aging Cell 7: 47-57
- QL Cui, L Chen and WH Yung (2007) Substance P excites globus pallidus neurons in vivo. European Journal of Neuroscience 26:1853-1861.
- JN Zhu, WH Yung, BKC Chow, YS Chan and JJ Wang (2006) The cerebellar-hypothalamic circuits: potential pathways underlying cerebellar involvement in somatic-visceral integration. Brain Research Review 52: 93-106
- AKY Fu, FCF Ip, WY Fu, J Cheung, JH Wang, WH Yung and NY Ip (2005) Aberrant motor axon projection, AChR clustering and neurotransmission in Cyclin-dependent kinase 5 null mice Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 102: 15224-15229
- SC Chan, DJ Surmeier and WH Yung (2005) Neuronal integration of striatopallidal signals: timing matters. NeuroSignals 14: 281-289
- P Pang, H Teng, E Zaitsev, NT Woo, K Sakata, S Zhen, KK Teng, WH Yung, B Hempstead and B Lu (2004) Proteolytic conversion from pro- to mature BDNF by tPA/plasmin is essential for long-term hippocampal plasticity. Science 305: 487-491.
- WH Yung, PS Leung, SSM Ng, J Zhang, SCY Chan and BKC Chow (2001) Secretin facilitates GABA transmission in the rat cerebellum. Journal of Neuroscience 21:7063-7068.