BSc, DipEd, PhD
524A, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Sciences Building, Area 39, CUHK
Prof. TSUI Kwok-Wing Stephen (徐國榮) is currently a professor in the School of Biomedical Sciences and directors of the Hong Kong Bioinformatics Centre and the Centre for Microbial Genomics and Proteomics in The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). In 1995, he received his Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry at CUHK and his thesis is related to the study of the human genome. He was then appointed as an Assistant Professor in the Biochemistry Department in 1997 and promoted to the full professorship in 2004. He was a former member of the International HapMap Consortium and worked on the single nucleotide polymorphisms of human chromosome 3p. During the SARS outbreak in 2003, his team was one of the earliest teams that cracked the complete genome of the SARS-coronavirus. Totally, he has published more than 220 scientific papers in international journals, including Nature, New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, PNAS, Circulation, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Genome Biology and Nucleic Acids Research. He is very interested in bioinformatics, comparative genomics and molecular biology of clinical pathogens including human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis B virus, influenza virus and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Most recently, he cracked the genome, transcriptome and microbiome of several dust mite species, which can be linked to the house dust mite allergy.
- Cancer biology and genomics
- Dust mite allergy
- Molecular virology
- Metagenomics and human health
- Yang, K.Y., Chen, Y., Ng, P.K.S., Zhou, W.J., Chen, J.Y., Mao, B.Y. & Tsui, S.K.W. (2016). Transcriptome analysis of different developmental stages of amphioxus reveals dynamic changes of distinct classes of genes during development. Sci. Rep., 6, 23195.
- Zhang, Y., Li, S.K., Yang, K.Y., Liu, M.H., Lee, N., Tang, X., Wang, H., Liu, L., Chen, Z., Zhang, C.Y., Wang, J.H. & Tsui, S.K.W. (2015). Whole genome methylation array reveals the down-regulation of IGFBP6 and SATB2 by HIV-1. Sci. Rep., 5, 10806.
- Worley, M.J., Liu, S., Hua, Y., Kwok, J., Samuel, A., Hou, L., Shoni, M., Lu, S., Sandberg, E.M., Wu, D., Ng, S.K., Kuo, W.P., Parra-Herran, C.E., Tsui, S.K.W., Welch, W., Crum, C., Berkowitz, R.S. & Ng, S.W. (2015). Molecular changes in endometriosis-associated ovarian clear cell carcinoma. Eur. J. Cancer, 51, 1831-1842.
- Liu, M.H., Yang, B.R., Cheung, W.F., Yang, K.Y., Zhou, H.F., Kwok, J.S.L., Liu, G.C., Li, X.F., Zhong, S., Lee, S.M.Y. & Tsui, S.K.W. (2015). Transcriptome analysis of leaves, roots and flowers of Panax notoginseng identifies genes involved in ginsenoside and alkaloid biosynthesis. BMC Genomics, 16, 265.
- Chan, T.F., Ji, K.M., Yim, A.K.Y., Liu, X.Y., Zhou, J.W., Li, R.Q., Yang, K.Y., Li, J., Li, M., Law, P.T.W., Wu, Y.L., Cai, Z.L., Qin, H., Bao, Y., Leung, R.K.K., Ng, P.K.S., Zou, J., Zhong, X.J., Ran, P.X., Zhong, N.S., Liu, Z.G., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2015). The draft genome, transcriptome and microbiome of Dermatophagoides farinae reveal a broad spectrum of dust mite allergens. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol., 135, 539-548.
- Lau, S.K., Wu, A.K., Teng, J.L., Tse, H., Curreem, S.O., Tsui, S.K.W., Huang Y., Chen, J.H., Lee, R.A., Yuen, K.Y. & Woo, P.C. (2015). Evidence for Elizabethkingia anophelis Transmission from Mother to Infant, Hong Kong. Emerg. Infect. Dis., 21, 232-241.
- Tsoi, H., Yu, A.C.S., Ng, N.K.N., Chan, A.Y.Y., Yuen, L.Y.P., Abrigo, J.M., Tsang, S.Y., Tsui, S.K.W., Tong, T.M.F., Lo, I.F.M., Lam, S.T.S, Mok, V.C.T., Wong, L.K.S., Ngo, J.C.K., Lau, K.F., Chan, T.F. & Chan H.Y.E. (2014). A novel missense mutation in CCDC88C activates the JNK pathway and causes a dominant form of spinocerebellar ataxia. J. Med. Genet., 51, 590-595.
- Lou, S., Lee, H.M., Qin, H., Li, J.W., Gao, Z., Liu, X., Chan, L.L., Lam, V., So, W.Y., Wang, Y., Lok, S., Wang, J., Ma, R., Tsui, S.K.W., Chan, J., Chan, T.F. & Yip, K.Y. (2014). Whole-genome bisulfite sequencing of multiple individuals reveals complementary roles of promoter and gene body methylation in transcriptional regulation. Genome Biol., 15, 408.
- Leung, T.F., Ko, F.W.S., Sy, H.Y., Tsui, S.K.W. & Wong, G.W.K. (2014). Comparsion of asthma genetics between China and other regions of the world. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol., 133, 42-48.
- Leung, R.K.K., Dong, Z.Q., Chong, C.M., Lei, S.W., Tsui, S.K.W.* & Lee, S.M.Y.*. (2013). Quick, sensitive and specific detection and evaluation of quantification of minor variants by high-throughput sequencing. Mol. Biosyst., 10, 206-214. (*corresponding authors, cover story).
- Leung, K.K., Zhou, J.W., Guan, W., Li, S.K., Yang, Z.F., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2013). Differences of respiratory microbiota in influenza virus-infected and non-influenza virus-infected pneumonia patients. Clin. Microbiol. Infect., 19, 930-935.
- Li, S.K., Leung, R.K.K., Guo, H.X., Wei J.F., Wang, J.H., Kwong, K.T., Lee S.S., Zhang, C. & Tsui, S.K.W. (2012). Detection and identification of plasma bacterial and viral elements in HIV/AIDS patients in comparison to healthy adults. Clin. Microbiol. Infect., 18, 1126-1133.
- Wilkins, S., Zhang, K.W., Mafuz, I., Quantin, R., D'Cruz, N., Hutson, J., Ee, M., Bagli, D., Aitken, K., Fong, F., Ng, P., Tsui, S.K.W., Fung, W.Y., Banu, T., Thakre, A., Johar, K., Jaureguizar, E., Li, L. & Cheng, W. (2012). Insertion/Deletion polymorphisms in the Np63 promoter are a risk factor for bladder exstrophy epispadias complex. PLoS Genet., 8, e1003070.
- Zhao, H.L., Sui, Y., Qiao, C.F., Yip K.Y.L., Leung, R.K.K., Tsui, S.K.W., Wong, H.K.T., Zhu, X., Siu, J.J., He, L., Guan, J., Liu, L.Z., Xu, H.X., Lee, H.M., Tong, P.C.Y. & Chan, J.C.N. (2012). Sustained antidiabetic effects of a berberine-containing Chinese herbal medicine through regulation of hepatic gene expression partly mediated by inhibition of microRNA-29b. Diabetes, 61, 933-943.
- Chan, T.M., Leung, K.S., Lee, K.H., Wong, M.H., Lau, C.K., & Tsui, S.K.W. (2012). Subtypes of associated Protein-DNA (TF-TFBS) patterns. Nucleic Acids Res., 40, 9392-9403.
- Ng, C.F., Ng, P.K.S., Lui, V.W.Y., Li, J., Chan, J.Y.W., Fung, K.P., Ng, Y.K., Lai, P.B.S. & Tsui, S.K.W. (2011). FHL2 exhibits anti-proliferative and anti-apoptotic activity in liver cancer cells. Cancer Letters, 304, 97-106.
- Chan, T.M., Wong, K.C., Lee, K.H., Wong, M.H., Lau, C.K., Tsui, S.K.W. & Leung, K.S. (2011). Discovering approximate-associated sequence patterns for protein-DNA interactions. Bioinformatics, 27, 471-478.
- Lou, S.K., Ni, B., Lo, L.Y., Tsui, S.K.W., Chan T.F. & Leung, K.S. (2011). ABMapper: a suffix array-based tool for multi-location searching and splice-junction mapping. Bioinformatics, 27, 421-422.
- Leung, K.S., Wong, K.C., Chan, T.M., Wong, M.H., Lee, K.H., Lau, C.K. & Tsui, S.K.W. (2010). Discovering protein-DNA binding sequence patterns using association rule mining, Nucleic Acids Res., 38, 6324-6337.
- Sung, J.J.Y., Tsui, S.K.W., Tse, C.H., Ng, Y.E.T., Leung, K.S., Lee, K.H., Mok, T.S.K., Bartholomeusz, A., Au, T.C.C., Tsoi, K.K.F., Locarnini, S. & Chan, H.L.Y. (2008). Genotype-specific genomic markers associated with primary hepatoma, based on complete genomic sequencing of hepatitis B virus. J. Virol., 82, 3604-3611.
- Sabeti, P.C., .... Tsui, S.K.W. et al. [author 65 out of 250] (2007). Genome-wide detection and characterization of positive selection in human populations. Nature, 449, 913-918.
- Frazer K.A., ....Tsui S.K.W. et al. [author 77 out of 262] (2007). A second generation human haplotype map of over 3.1 million SNPs. Nature, 449, 851-861.
- The International HapMap Consortium [including Tsui, S.K.W. in the author list] (2005). A haplotype map of the human genome. Nature, 437, 1299-1320.
- Chan, H.L.Y., Tsui, S.K.W., Tse, C.H. Ng., E.Y.T., Au, T.C.C., Yuen, L., Bartholomeuz, A., Leung, K.S., Lee, K.H., Locarnini, S. & Sung, J.J.Y. (2005). Epidemiological and virological characteristics of two subgroups of hepatitis B virus genotype C. J. Infect. Dis., 191, 2022-2032.
- Chan, H.L.Y., Tsui, S.K.W. & Sung, J.J.Y. (2003). Coronavirus in severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Trends Mol. Med., 9, 323-325.
- Chim, S.S.C.*, Tsui, S.K.W.* et al. [author 2 out of 17] (2003). Genomic characterization of the SARS-coronavirus of the Amoy Gardens outbreak in Hong Kong. Lancet, 362, 1807-1808 (*co-first authors).
- Tsui, S.K.W., Chim, S.S.C., Lo, Y.M.D. and the Chinese University of Hong Kong Molecular SARS Research Group (2003). Coronavirus genomic-sequence variations and the epidemiology of the severe acute respiratory syndrome. N. Engl. J. Med., 349, 187-188.
- Zhang, X.Y., Chen, F., Zhang, Y.T., Agner, S.C., Akay, M., Lu, Z.H., Waye, M.M.Y. & Tsui, S.K.W. (2002). Signal-processing techniques in genomic engineering. P IEEE, 90, 1822-1833.
- Hwang, D.M., Dempsey, A.A., Wang, R.X., Rezvani, M., Barrans, J.D., Dai, K.S., Wang, H.Y., Ma, H., Cukerman, E., Liu, Y.Q., Gu, J.R., Zhang, J.H., Tsui, S.K.W. and Waye, M.M.Y., Fung, K.P., Lee, C.Y. & Liew, C.C. (1997). A genome-based resource for molecular cardiovascular medicine - Towards a compendium of cardiovascular genes. Circulation, 96, 4146-4203.
- Liew, C.C., Hwang, D.M., Fung, Y.W., Laurenssen, C., Cukerman, E., Tsui, S.K.W. & Lee, C.Y. (1994). A catalogue of genes in the cardiovascular system as identified by expressed sequence tags (ESTs). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 91, 10645-10649.